Athens, GA - USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Common enough, but the first snail I have found in the pool. Much better than some critters for sure!

ACtC-3e4xriRcpiYJ8kgpMnYxQ_ind_r6HT4iUcGK7l6rHnUqs80I_3b_NGnXd7vCzpc0dYAa5BLwTPQYzN_hHvoBZiG_pzaagmNWXm7Hc_-imndZ8X-lmbMZoP7XjE-B4HWSWD8FzT6B9enP42abdDVoHuIgg=w1920-h909-no

Reactions: Snoobug
This year has been very unusual as far as critters in the pool. In past years we have had frogs and a few snakes. One winter some critter got into the pool under the cover. When we went to open the pool, we pulled out clumps of fur, tissue and lots of teeth.:sick:

For the first time, we had a turtle in the pool about a week ago. The shell was about 5 inches in diameter...a pretty good-sized fellow. I took him out of the pool and put him in the shade near the woods at the back of our property. Three days later I went out to the pool to bring in our robot, and there was a skunk swimming in the pool!:eek: I used my phone to check online for how to remove a skunk from a pool and found several approaches. I used the pool brush to get under him to get him to hold on, and I slowly dragged him to the step at the shallow end where the water is only a couple of inches deep. I thought after he rested for awhile he would see that he could just hop out of the pool. He was apparently totally exhausted so I used the brush to lift him out of the pool. After about an hour he moved over to a better shaded area. He laid there for many hours...we thought he might be dead. The next morning he was gone; I guess he regained his strength. Today I went to clean out the skimmer. There was a dead skunk in it...definitely a different one.

I hope this is the end of our 2021 critter encounters.:unsure:

• Wow
Reactions: Shirker
This year has been very unusual as far as critters in the pool. In past years we have had frogs and a few snakes. One winter some critter got into the pool under the cover. When we went to open the pool, we pulled out clumps of fur, tissue and lots of teeth.:sick:

For the first time, we had a turtle in the pool about a week ago. The shell was about 5 inches in diameter...a pretty good-sized fellow. I took him out of the pool and put him in the shade near the woods at the back of our property. Three days later I went out to the pool to bring in our robot, and there was a skunk swimming in the pool!:eek: I used my phone to check online for how to remove a skunk from a pool and found several approaches. I used the pool brush to get under him to get him to hold on, and I slowly dragged him to the step at the shallow end where the water is only a couple of inches deep. I thought after he rested for awhile he would see that he could just hop out of the pool. He was apparently totally exhausted so I used the brush to lift him out of the pool. After about an hour he moved over to a better shaded area. He laid there for many hours...we thought he might be dead. The next morning he was gone; I guess he regained his strength. Today I went to clean out the skimmer. There was a dead skunk in it...definitely a different one.

I hope this is the end of our 2021 critter encounters.:unsure:
Weird year for sure, I killed a 4’ copper head 2’ from my front door. My little dog saw it but was smart enough to stay back.

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a young crow fall in ours last week and its parents were freaking out. My husband jumped in with all his clothes on, scooped up the crow with a net, carried it out to a shady spot in the yard, and then brought it some dog food and water (all while the parents kept going nuts). The parents kept watch for an hour or so before the the little one was back up and moving.

I ordered two frog logs while my husband was changing out of his wet clothes. The crows are happy with us now (we've fed them for years), but I don't want to get on their bad side if one of their kids falls in again and we aren't there to save it.

Even with an auto cover the mice and similar sized critters still end up in the skimmer basket. I took one out yesterday. This year has been pretty good so far. The opossum last year was a surprise.

Frog logs are the best. We’ve only had 1 or 2 dead critters since we started using them 5 or 6 years ago. Before that, it was almost a daily occurrence.

Reactions: Teenwolf74
Preparing the frog log. What did you use as weights? Rocks? My husband thinks it's a stage to train the frogs to entertain us... 🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.