Official 2020 Pool Critters Thread

My seven year old came up to me on the weekend saying that there was a frog in the pool but it went into the pipe. We don't have a floor drain so I was like "what the heck are you talking about?". Turns out the frog was in the skimmer basket and when my kid went to take it out the frog jumped right into the now basketless skimmer. Got sucked into the pipe and away he went. I ran to the equipment pad and there he was, swirling around in the pump basket. I shut her down, wrenched the visor lid off the pump and got him out of there. Tough little guy survived!

I'm sure he's discussing his trauma with a froggy therapist though.
m.
Sorry Nemo. this drain doesn't go to the ocean.

They came here. I have a million frogs in my yard. Every morning i have hose off frog poop from the deck.
I used to get these tiny toads. Not sure what is different at my place but they are long gone.

The bane of my existence is fireants. Around the pool. In the pool. The royalty "fly" out of the nests to create new colonies. They are attracted to water. When they land in the pool, they clump together in a ball. The only thing to do is to scoop them out with a net, then invert the net and drown them in the hot-tub. After a few hours, I shake out the net and repeat. They only launch on sunny days right after a rain storm.

fireants royalty.jpg

I would post the picture of the dead possum at my main drain, but I don't think anyone really wants to see that...

I have skimmers baskets with a handle that sticks up. I often have spiders that survive the skimmer by getting on the handle. They just get dumped into the grass.

Yesterday I took the lid off the skimmer and saw a layer of leaves that needed to be removed. Stuck my hand down there to scoop them out and withdrew an unseen snake. I threw it in one direction and took off running in the other. It's time to remove the skimmer sock and install the skimmer angel.

• Wow
Reactions: mguzzy and proavia
@Neemer - Check out the skimpro towers (GVT, Inc - Powered by Network Solutions.)

I added them to my baskets so that I could use the skimmer socks/hairnets AND have a handle. Found that in one of the threads on here, I don't recall the title at the moment. One of the "tips and tricks" threads. They make complete basket replacements as well, but they didn't have one for my skimmer.

--Jeff

Yesterday I took the lid off the skimmer and saw a layer of leaves that needed to be removed. Stuck my hand down there to scoop them out and withdrew an unseen snake. I threw it in one direction and took off running in the other. It's time to remove the skimmer sock and install the skimmer angel.
I saw a fuzzy thing in mine.. and was thinking it was the dang dogs, threw their chew toys in the pool again..reached in grabbed it......AAAAAAG! it was a GOPHER el muerte!🐀💀

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.