Official 2020 Pool Critters Thread

I've posted elsewhere how I, living in Manitoba, am envious of you southerners with your eternal summers. I'm rethinking that envy after reading this thread. Worst I get is a few frogs in the skimmer and maybe a vole or two per season.

m.

One opossum and one chipmunk so far this year. The auto cover seems to be keeping the critter count down. These happened when I had the cover open to cool the pool at night.

This sucker was impossible to get out. For moving so slow on land, they sure are quick in the water! We eventually scared the guy enough into retreating into his shell and was able to get him out and release him nearby. We were extremely worried it was a snapping turtle haha

Attachments

• 97AD2516-4516-42D9-82D7-356C52BC5433.jpeg
    97AD2516-4516-42D9-82D7-356C52BC5433.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 121
  • D49A1FBE-01E1-4E74-91B4-E41EA3CFED2C.jpeg
    D49A1FBE-01E1-4E74-91B4-E41EA3CFED2C.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: Shirker
I think this takes the cake...
200725132430-virginia-black-bear-exlarge-169.jpg

"I mean the bare necessities, That's why a bear can rest at ease"

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yesterday, I found a lively frog in the pool as I was doing my morning water testing. I grabbed the net to get him out, and he somehow escaped my grasp and appeared to disappear into thin air. I could not find him anywhere. I assumed he had escaped into the dark reaches of the skimmer behind the weir as they often do.

Later that day I’m cleaning out my robot and what do you know? There he is in the robot’s basket and without a heartbeat. The robot was running when I first tried to capture him and I guess he headed straight for it and got sucked into the basket.

Services were at 11:00. Closed casket.

• Sad
Do they survive long in the water? I never would expect them to even like water.
I have the occasional scorpion in my pool around here. They don't survive long in the water. They show up overnight but I haven't ever seen one alive once it hits the water so I didn't time it. Mine aren't this exact type shown in his pic either but it's still of the "Don't step on it" variety.

My seven year old came up to me on the weekend saying that there was a frog in the pool but it went into the pipe. We don't have a floor drain so I was like "what the heck are you talking about?". Turns out the frog was in the skimmer basket and when my kid went to take it out the frog jumped right into the now basketless skimmer. Got sucked into the pipe and away he went. I ran to the equipment pad and there he was, swirling around in the pump basket. I shut her down, wrenched the visor lid off the pump and got him out of there. Tough little guy survived!

I'm sure he's discussing his trauma with a froggy therapist though.

m.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.