Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco USDA Prime Ribeye. 225 on the REC TEC until 90 internal (~50 min.) then seared in blazing hot cast iron about 3 minutes a side. Until about 120. Rest for 10 min. Oh that smoke taste!
View attachment 156589
[/QU
Costco USDA Prime Ribeye. 225 on the REC TEC until 90 internal (~50 min.) then seared in blazing hot cast iron about 3 minutes a side. Until about 120. Rest for 10 min. Oh that smoke taste!
View attachment 156589
Larger looks very tasty :cheers:

Dual smoke action today. We have friends up. They brought their smoker and I’m doing pulled pork and my buddy is doing a full brisket! I haven’t been brave enough to try one so I’m pretty excited.
C49DBDCA-F045-4C94-AB77-FDB8B425689D.jpeg3A81800F-AA6C-4114-94D8-E8C73D147069.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys. Big green egg only question. How come after 12 hrs of cook I have to I open up the bottom and top to keep temp? I mean there was a ton of lump still. Is it getting clocked up on bottom where holes are? I had barely any ash below after 12 hrs so that’s why I’m thinking the holes are getting clogged up.

Guys. Big green egg only question. How come after 12 hrs of cook I have to I open up the bottom and top to keep temp? I mean there was a ton of lump still. Is it getting clocked up on bottom where holes are? I had barely any ash below after 12 hrs so that’s why I’m thinking the holes are getting clogged up.
I am not a big fan of the big green egg. Actually I was given one many years ago and I gave it away to on other friend and he in turn sold it. Seems like a lot of work but that is just my opinion. Sorry 😐

After several hours small pieces of charcoal get caught in the holes on the sides and the charcoal grate. I had it happen once or twice as well. I bought a kick ash basket and have never had an issue since. Well worth the money!

Actually I was given one many years ago and I gave it away to on other friend
Wish I had a friend like you! The BGE would round out my collection. I’ve had everything from an el cheapo Brinkmann to an offset stick burner to UDS to Weber Kettle with Slow n Sear. Always wanted a BGE but could never convince myself to lay out the cash.

After several hours small pieces of charcoal get caught in the holes on the sides and the charcoal grate. I had it happen once or twice as well. I bought a kick ash basket and have never had an issue since. Well worth the money!
Oh and I also stir up my chunks after each smoke before I light forcthe day and clan out the bottom cause I figured it happens but I didn’t think it would happen every cook.

do u have a link to what u are talking about?
Yep, this is the link for the Large BGE size... Large Kick Ash Basket-KAB-LG-SS I recently also bought the kick ash can (you can see it on the website) and so far after 2 long cooks it's made clean up very easy. Just shake the basket and then empty the can in the trash. I do still vacuum out the fire bowl and inside the bottom vent for anything that didn't shake down but that takes all of 30 seconds and it's completely cleaned out. I also tend to take unused coal and put it in the foil pan and put unused on the top, but for long cooks (12+ hours) I use all new coal. Even then with the stock charcoal grate I would sometimes have to poke at the grate with a rod to clear it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.