Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken is great on the Egg. I usually will cut two roasting chickens in half, season the outside and place some lemon rinds under the breast skin, and then let them cook low and slow for several hours with very minimal smoke. At 185F internal temp they will come out super moist and juicy and you can literally pick free the entire half chicken of meat (or use a fork and knife like civilized people do...Ive been binge-watching too many Viking shows).

Wings are always awesome. Ribs too.
Can’t help you with the egg but it looks great : cheers:

Ok the ones that got more heat were way better. How do I get a more crispy wing while smoking them on an egg?

After you've smoked the wings a little bit to add the smoky flavor, remove the wing, take off the steel grate, remove the plate-setter (the ceramic convection shield), put the steel grate back on, and cook the wings directly over the charcoal heat. That will crisp them up.

Do you have these -

I consider them essential Egg tools...

Guess what’s for dinner :cheers:
View attachment 143092
I going to go out on a limb here and say stir fry on the griddle. U don’t use that much do u?
After you've smoked the wings a little bit to add the smoky flavor, remove the wing, take off the steel grate, remove the plate-setter (the ceramic convection shield), put the steel grate back on, and cook the wings directly over the charcoal heat. That will crisp them up.

Do you have these -

I consider them essential Egg tools...
ues I have the egg versions of each. Been using them!
So question cause I don’t understand direct heat yet.
So with the shield removed am I doing the crisping with lid open? Or closed?

mid closed what kinda temp am I coming up to?

I going to go out on a limb here and say stir fry on the griddle. U don’t use that much do u?

Whenever I use the Egg like a traditional charcoal grill (no plate setter), then I usually work with the lid open and the lower vent opened at least midway. That creates LOTS of direct heat and, honestly, temperature doesn’t matter because your basically working over a direct flame. So you’re definitely working the chicken wings and turning them frequently to keep them from burning. It’s all hands on deck at that point, no distractions, no stepping away. You are .... THE FIRE GOD!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whenever I use the Egg like a traditional charcoal grill (no plate setter), then I usually work with the lid open and the lower vent opened at least midway. That creates LOTS of direct heat and, honestly, temperature doesn’t matter because your basically working over a direct flame. So you’re definitely working the chicken wings and turning them frequently to keep them from burning. It’s all hands on deck at that point, no distractions, no stepping away. You are .... THE FIRE GOD!!!!

Ok. Lol. I’m literally afraid to let thst fire rip that way cause it looks like it can get out of control pretty easy.

Ok. Lol. I’m literally afraid to let thst fire rip that way cause it looks like it can get out of control pretty easy.

My Egg with vents fully open can easily hit 750F within a few minutes. It’s the “Gates of H-e-double hockey sticks” for sure ...

It’s it’s pretty amazing how fast it can get going. Found that out the other day when I had my hood on to clear the smoke. Came back and I have 8 inch flames in the fire pit of the egg with the lid open!

Yep you are correct :cheers:

27507BB4-7054-4CEB-BC37-C2859007B2E1.jpeg9C0992EB-2DD2-427F-A88C-93EF0E68E1D1.jpeg83B92E3B-39B4-464A-8F9B-F7AA5FCBD47E.jpeg3CC64849-14CB-4081-871B-494F753E686C.jpeg

man I swear you have like a family of 10 people or something when u cook. lol

I'm waiting patiently for my lovely wife to make me my breakfast so is whipping up over here. I think I'm getting homemade pancakes. lol then back to shoveling rock! Groundhog Day here!

man I swear you have like a family of 10 people or something when u cook. lol

I'm waiting patiently for my lovely wife to make me my breakfast so is whipping up over here. I think I'm getting homemade pancakes. lol then back to shoveling rock! Groundhog Day here!
We love left overs :cheers:

Ok the ones that got more heat were way better. How do I get a more crispy wing while smoking them on an egg?
A couple of things I do...One, let the wings dry uncovered in the fridge for at least an hour to dry the skin thoroughly. That really helps get a crispy skin. Also, evenly coat with a little baking powder. I don't always do it, but it works really well. My usual method is Grill them indirect heat at 375f for 30 minutes, flip, 20 minutes, toss in sauce, 10 more minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.