Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s chili night! Fresh ground chuck & pork, bell pepper & black beans. My chili spice mix includes cocoa powder (unsweetened) and cinnamon. The usual sides will be served (rice, avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese)

View attachment 127574

Matt, next time substitute the cinnamon for ground clove. Put it in about 1/2 hour before serving, and go easy with it-to taste. It adds a really nice coupling of the flavors.

Did you stove cook or slow cook it?

Matt, next time substitute the cinnamon for ground clove. Put it in about 1/2 hour before serving, and go easy with it-to taste. It adds a really nice coupling of the flavors.

Did you stove cook or slow cook it?

I stove cook it in the ceramic pot to brown the meat and sauté the onions, bell pepper and garlic. Then I add (minimal) liquids, diced tomato, tomato paste and the spice mix. Give it a good mix and then put it in the slow cooker for 3-4 hours. I add the beans to it in the last 10mins or so or else they’ll turn to mush.

I’ll experiment with the cloves next time. The mix I use has 1/4 tsp cinnamon in it so I’ll try half that with ground cloves.

Reactions: Arizonarob
I prep mine pretty much the same, except I slow cook for 6 hours. I use dark red kidney beans in mine instead of black beans. They don’t turn mushy like other beans.

I had black beans in the pantry and didn't want to go to the store for kidney beans. Pinto beans work really well too as they have a different flavor (more nutty/earthy).

Here's the spice mix I like to use (enough for 3 lbs of meat) -
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground roasted cumin (or regular ground cumin)
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (don't use hot paprika...too spicy)
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (good old Hersey's cocoa powder)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I'll leave this out if I use fresh garlic)
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Like I said, I'll try substituting the cloves for the cinnamon but I may do it on a smaller batch of chili in case the troops complain. I usually mix these spices up in batches and then use my vacuum sealer to make sealed spice packets. It's a nice way to prep the chili seasoning for a quick meal instead of mixing it up every time.

And, in case you're wondering, the salt and pepper are intentionally left out. I use salt and pepper while browning the meat and sautéing the veggies so there's no need to add it to the spice mix as well. I'll go a little light on the salt and then let the individual season to taste.

Steak night tonight. Straight out of the sous vide. Pan seared. And then cut up. Forgot to heat the pan super hot before so they cooked a little longer than I like. But they were still amazing.

Attachments

• 06663ED1-32E2-464D-9676-E5A60B9EE462.jpeg
    06663ED1-32E2-464D-9676-E5A60B9EE462.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 3E547689-FFB2-4D2C-BB7E-473DD9FE8141.jpeg
    3E547689-FFB2-4D2C-BB7E-473DD9FE8141.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 0D7074DE-FB62-429F-A36E-65415C649FE0.jpeg
    0D7074DE-FB62-429F-A36E-65415C649FE0.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 21
Steak night tonight. Straight out of the sous vide. Pan seared. And then cut up. Forgot to heat the pan super hot before so they cooked a little longer than I like. But they were still amazing.
Actually look perfect. I sous vide tri tip last weekend however I forgot to take pics of the final plate :cheers:
I may experiment some more on Sunday :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
  • Haha
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.