Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kid loves fresh figs. My dad got him into them. I have a patient who has 10 different varieties in dog pots with wheels. In the winter she keeps her car outside and the trees in the garage. Lol They r beautiful trees. Lots of pruning she said.

When we were in Da’ Bronx, there was a guy up the road from our apartment building with a tall wall all around his house. But, every spring he’d roll out a dozen or more 15 gallon buckets into his front yard with fig trees in them. All summer long I’d walk past his house and see these huge fig trees FULL of figs and think to myself “if I could only reach over the wall...”. But better senses prevailed as I’m sure he, like everyone else in that neighborhood, was old school Italian and very likely Mafioso .... I would probably have lost my hand if I stole a fig....

They are....or should I say, WERE delicious!! Sweet as candy. I can’t wait for the rest of them to ripen.

When we were in Da’ Bronx, there was a guy up the road from our apartment building with a tall wall all around his house. But, every spring he’d roll out a dozen or more 15 gallon buckets into his front yard with fig trees in them. All summer long I’d walk past his house and see these huge fig trees FULL of figs and think to myself “if I could only reach over the wall...”. But better senses prevailed as I’m sure he, like everyone else in that neighborhood, was old school Italian and very likely Mafioso .... I would probably have lost my hand if I stole a fig....

They are....or should I say, WERE delicious!! Sweet as candy. I can’t wait for the rest of them to ripen.
That’s a pretty funny story. Lol

I just picked and ate my first two Brown Turkey figs of the year. I got the fig tree back in January. It’s in a 30 gallon container right while I let it mature for a few seasons and then I’ll have to figure out where to plant it.

Here they were a week ago before I picked them -

Nice I just picked my first apple last week
AD073EF1-EB8D-4241-8F4B-8D478721DC56.jpeg

Those tacos, drool.

My in laws have a huge fig tree. Was a gift from someone. None of us eat figs :hammer:

There was little food in the kitchen to chose from last night so a couple filets from the freezer and potatoes...smoked & seared filets with oven crisped potatoes. Not pictured, random bottle of wine a friend gave us. Not bad for a grab bag meal.

I just picked and ate my first two Brown Turkey figs of the year. I got the fig tree back in January. It’s in a 30 gallon container right while I let it mature for a few seasons and then I’ll have to figure out where to plant it.

Here they were a week ago before I picked them -

My neighbor just gave us some figs off her tree to try, meh. They were sweet and all, but IMO they were missing the newton.

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
My neighbor just gave us some figs off her tree to try, meh. They were sweet and all, but IMO they were missing the newton.

They have to ripen on the tree. Once they’re picked, they will not get any sweeter. You basically have to wait until the fig is dropping down under its own weight and practically ready to drop. The outside should be soft and tender. A picked fig will only last about 2 days (less if there’s lots of hungry Italians around). If they are picked too soon, they will be flavorless and sometimes bitter.

Fig leaf sap (sometimes called fig tree latex) is interesting - it’s actually a phytotoxin that can cause serious inflammation and blistering of the skin. Sunlight makes it worse and some people can have really bad reactions to it. So when pruning a tree or dealing with fresh fallen leaves, one should always wear chemically resistant gloves.

They have to ripen on the tree. Once they’re picked, they will not get any sweeter. You basically have to wait until the fig is dropping down under its own weight and practically ready to drop. The outside should be soft and tender.

They were all of the above. Again, meh.

Fig leaf sap (sometimes called fig tree latex) is interesting - it’s actually a phytotoxin that can cause serious inflammation and blistering of the skin. Sunlight makes it worse and some people can have really bad reactions to it. So when pruning a tree or dealing with fresh fallen leaves, one should always wear chemically resistant gloves.

So another reason to handle figs properly wrapped in a protective Newton!!

They were all of the above. Again, meh.

So another reason to handle figs properly wrapped in a protective Newton!!

Yeah, my wife doesn’t really care for figs either....which is absolutely fine by me as that means I get to eat them all. Enjoy your processed, refined sugar snacks courtesy of the Keebler Elves...

Ok this one is on my wife.

Homemade turkey burgers. Sage,thyme, onion, celery, breadcrumbs, egg, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper.

Homemade cranberry sauce for topping.

Salad and cucumbers were from my garden. I did red romaine this year along with my usual Boston Bibb, red leaf, and butter crunch.192F9CF1-B1E3-4665-862B-080FAF302C1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good!

A nice variation on turkey burgers is to do them “Greek Style” - add Greek seasoning, fresh oregano, granulated lemon peel, and feta cheese crumbles. Then top it with wilted spinach, cucumber slices and tzatziki sauce. Serve it on a grainy wheat bun and some lemon rice or couscous.

Reactions: jimim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Enjoy your processed, refined sugar snacks courtesy of the Keebler Elves..

#1. You are clearly suffering from the side effects of processing CBD oil. I know you must see all kinds of Keebler elves, fairies, trolls, gnomes, and wizards on a day to day basis, but none of them make Fig Newtons. Please go outside and get fresh air.
#2. During the maybe once a year I have a Nabisco Fig Newton cookie, I will enjoy the processed, refined sugar snack with the utmost pleasure! :pth:

Well, after a long day working the compost pile in search of mystical fungi to add to my CBD extractor, and coming up short, I decided it was time for a nice dinner of sirloin cuts on the BBQ with some sautéed onions & mushrooms -

I found that local brew ale and decided to give a try. It was a very pleasant and easy drinking brown ale. I’ll keep an eye out for more Thunder Canyon variants at the local supermarket and I’ll have to make a journey into town to visit their “brewstillery” as they call it ....

Well, after a long day working the compost pile in search of mystical fungi to add to my CBD extractor, and coming up short, I decided it was time for a nice dinner of sirloin cuts on the BBQ with some sautéed onions & mushrooms -

I found that local brew ale and decided to give a try. It was a very pleasant and easy drinking brown ale. I’ll keep an eye out for more Thunder Canyon variants at the local supermarket and I’ll have to make a journey into town to visit their “brewstillery” as they call it ....
(y)(y)(y)(y)
So when did you want to do that hardwater/softwater crossover? :laughblue:
I WORK FOR FOOD :p

(y)(y)(y)(y)
So when did you want to do that hardwater/softwater crossover? :laughblue:
I WORK FOR FOOD :p

That’s good, because I prefer to pay in food. Beers, pizza, wings, ribs & smoked meats are my currency of choice. If the jobs comes in under-budget and ahead of schedule, there will be fresh homemade cannoli’s and port wine for desert.

Bring the family too...I’m Italian so my only joy in life comes from stuffing others with food....MANGIA, MANGIA!!!

Reactions: MyAZPool
That’s good, because I prefer to pay in food. Beers, pizza, wings, ribs & smoked meats are my currency of choice. If the jobs comes in under-budget and ahead of schedule, there will be fresh homemade cannoli’s and port wine for desert.

Bring the family too...I’m Italian so my only joy in life comes from stuffing others with food....MANGIA, MANGIA!!!
Cool, I'm in. Let's wait a while until our temps are out of triple digits a bit. I'm already hungry. :p

Ok this one is on my wife.

Homemade turkey burgers. Sage,thyme, onion, celery, breadcrumbs, egg, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper.

Homemade cranberry sauce for topping.

Salad and cucumbers were from my garden. I did red romaine this year along with my usual Boston Bibb, red leaf, and butter crunch.View attachment 111056
Looks great :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.