Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brent. Catching was the easy part. Haha

It was too windy to cast on the water up the lake so the day was already wasted so I decided to try and troll with one pole like my uncle and myself do. I never steered and ran a pole he usually does. I just sit there and catch. Haha.

Well it worked and it was pretty easy. I had non stop action for over 4 hours. Only reason I didn’t limit out at 50 was cause I ran out of room on my 2 stringers and I was worried about the 2 of them getting caught up in the motor on the yak (ya I’m that lazy I put a motor on my kayak). My brother in law added them a few years ago. We get some funny looks for sure but most people end up asking about it.

Cleaning them. That’s another story. I’m used to doing 20 or less usually. This was a lot more time consuming. Totally worth it. Haha

I’m going to start my ribs in a bit. I don’t have high expectations. As long as they good well and are tender I’m fine. I know I prob won’t have any smoke taste but I’ll try.

Deff a fun day in the water. I wish my brother in law was with me. He would have had a ball too.

Brent. Catching was the easy part. Haha

It was too windy to cast on the water up the lake so the day was already wasted so I decided to try and troll with one pole like my uncle and myself do. I never steered and ran a pole he usually does. I just sit there and catch. Haha.

Well it worked and it was pretty easy. I had non stop action for over 4 hours. Only reason I didn’t limit out at 50 was cause I ran out of room on my 2 stringers and I was worried about the 2 of them getting caught up in the motor on the yak (ya I’m that lazy I put a motor on my kayak). My brother in law added them a few years ago. We get some funny looks for sure but most people end up asking about it.

Cleaning them. That’s another story. I’m used to doing 20 or less usually. This was a lot more time consuming. Totally worth it. Haha

I’m going to start my ribs in a bit. I don’t have high expectations. As long as they good well and are tender I’m fine. I know I prob won’t have any smoke taste but I’ll try.

Deff a fun day in the water. I wish my brother in law was with me. He would have had a ball too.
Hey JIM I am sure your ribs will come out great. Here is a secret I will share with you. Every time I cook outdoors I make notes in a cook book I was given as a gift. I make notes on every cook which I have back 10 plus years. It does not have to be elaborate note keeping just date, what meat I am cooking, time in and out, temp of cooker and outdoor temp as we cook all year round. That way I have an idea what we like and what not to do. Jjust have fun cooking and experimenting :cheers:

Last edited:
Hey JIM I am sure your ribs will come out great. Here is a secret I will share with you. Every time I cook outdoors I make notes in a cook book I was given as a gift. I make notes on every cook which I have back 10 plus years. It does not have to be elaborate note keeping just date, what meat I am cooking, time in and out, temp of cooker and outdoor temp as we cook all year round. That way I have an idea what we like and what not to do. Al I all just have fun cooking and experimenting :cheers:
Thanks man I’m going to start doing that. Question. After my wood chunks smoke out and go to grey coals should I clean out and add more or just add on top of them?

Well boys, looks like BlackStone is bringing their “A” game to the grill world.

I was at Wally World today picking up some stuff, when I wandered into the outdoor patio section to get some rock salt, and when I turned around I saw these two beauties.

First up, their top of the line “pro” model...

Next item up for bid(and my favorite)....

So this bad boy has a built in cover, 2 side burners, a deep fryer attachment, (yup, it’s included) built in cutting board, and a paper towel holder!!! All for $400 clams.

Now it’s not the big 36” griddle like on the standard and pro version, but it’s also not the small 24” jobber either. If I had to guess, it’s probably around 30” or so. It’s got 3 burners under the griddle, (instead of 4 on the bigger one) and of course the 2 side burners, still plenty big enough to cook up a whole lotta food!

Looks like I’m going to have to “wear” mine out this season, to get into that for next season.
Matt, you better start your groveling for Xmas now!!
@JoyfulNoise

• Love
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Wow...deep fryer?!?! I dunno if Santa loves me that much....definitely would require the natural gas conversion kit though, I’d blow through a tank a propane in a day or two with all the gastronomic creations I’d come up with on that bad-boy...

Thanks man I’m going to start doing that. Question. After my wood chunks smoke out and go to grey coals should I clean out and add more or just add on top of them?
Jim as I understand smoking the first hour should be smoke, after that the meat does not absorb anymore smoke and if it does it may have a bitter taste to it , so as a rule I only smoke for the first hour after putting the meat on. Hope that helps:cheers:

Well boys, looks like BlackStone is bringing their “A” game to the grill world.

I was at Wally World today picking up some stuff, when I wandered into the outdoor patio section to get some rock salt, and when I turned around I saw these two beauties.

First up, their top of the line “pro” model...
View attachment 103394

Next item up for bid(and my favorite)....
View attachment 103395

View attachment 103396

View attachment 103397

So this bad boy has a built in cover, 2 side burners, a deep fryer attachment, (yup, it’s included) built in cutting board, and a paper towel holder!!! All for $400 clams.

Now it’s not the big 36” griddle like on the standard and pro version, but it’s also not the small 24” jobber either. If I had to guess, it’s probably around 30” or so. It’s got 3 burners under the griddle, (instead of 4 on the bigger one) and of course the 2 side burners, still plenty big enough to cook up a whole lotta food!

Looks like I’m going to have to “wear” mine out this season, to get into that for next season.
Matt, you better start your groveling for Xmas now!!
@JoyfulNoise
I am so jealous, that bad boy has all the cooking equipment under one roof:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well my ribs. . . Ready for it. . . Fail! Haha

Zero smoke ring or taste. I get that cause it all escapes out the sides. Also they were totally overdone. They never really pulled back on the bones. Like just a little. I know my one problem. I have no ide what the grill temp was. I had another temperature dial on the burner. One of those cheap stand up ones you can leave in an over. It was showing g between 225 to 250 when my grill one was saying 300-325. I had read and I know the ones in the grills aren’t the best so I grabbed the one I used. So I really don’t know why my temp was in there.

I’m going to buy the thermo temp signals probe system. I have one of thier pen probes for over 12 years and it’s awesome so with the signals probe system at least I’ll know for sure what’s up with the temp in the grill and try to just do ribs again with no smoke.

I figured the smoke wouldn’t work. No idea why they even put these on grills. It’s a waste of space but I didn’t buy the grill for that. I’m going to buy the replacement grate and loos the smoke box to pick up some grill space.

I cooked then to 200 like I had read. That sounded high for a temp but like I said. Experiment. My wife was like the 75 dollar big easy wonder did a better job. Haha.

Jim

• Sad
Reactions: Arizonarob
Reactions: Lagerman64

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.