Official 2018 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

I would suggest you use refined coconut oil for seasoning.

Also, unless rust is present, grinding/sanding/polishing is not necessary. The goal is to build up a thick, black carbide layer as that is what you want on cast iron. Also, keep the seasoning temperature right around 450F. If you go any hotter than that, you can actually burn off the carbide layer and expose the metal. My brother tried to season a cast iron pan using the Self Cleaning cycle on his oven. Not only did the pan warp from excessive heating but the pan came out gun metal gray (exposed iron) instead of black. It rusted up as soon as it hit fresh air.

Matt:
Regarding the oils, there are way too many oils that can do seasonings, and most seam to work, but the longest standing one is Flaxseed, so that is what i used. I only have one really old cast iron which is a Dutch Oven dated around 1850-1900, which has a great long standing seasoning(which Im still debating weather or not to polish). The rest are quite new, which have the factory seasoning, this seasoning is not very appealing due to the coarse nature of the surface which this type of seasoning has to be applied. The grinding/polishing/sanding was done to eliminate this rough surface, not because of the seasoning or rust. Most recommendations on the net are to heat between 300 and 400, so I choose 350. Its also recommended between 3-4 cycles of seasoning to build up a hard coat. I do agree that there is also a lot of wrong info on the net and the self cleaning cycle for sure is one of them.

I just wanted to share my new found hobby, i hope it didnt derail the original topic. Well its new found because I got an Induction cooktop and my old aluminum pans just dont work.

Felipe

So I decided to do up some Turkish chicken kabobs last night, served up with brown rice, cucumber tzatziki, and naan bread.
My neighbors looked like the “whack-a-mole” game, popping their heads up over the wall to see what smelled so good when it was cooking! :laughblue:

(sorry, before pic had my fat finger in the way)

It’s got everything but the kitchen sink in it!!
Seriously though, a real close friend of mine is from Turkey, and this is his family’s recipe. My wife is the one who got it from his wife, so I’d have to see if she has it written down somewhere, as she does it from memory at this point.

His family members own a Turkish restaurant in Brooklyn NY, it wouldn’t phase this guy to call me up and drive down there from Boston just for dinner. :shock:
To this day I have no idea how we didn’t end up wrapped around a guardrail on the Merit Parkway from the food coma driving back!!

Ugh...the Merrit Pkwy....I did that commute (Bronx to Oxford CT) for over a year.....I’m still working through my PTSD issues....

Muslim culture has a very different view of hospitality and shared meals so it doesn’t surprise me at all that your friend would host your meal requests ;)

Oh yeah, to this day I’ve never been in a restaurant that had better service then that one. I swear there where 3 waitstaff to every table.

His mom & dad are awsome people, so down to earth and friendly. He grew up rather wealthy, his parents would buy him pretty much anything, but if you didn’t see what he was driving, you’d swear you were talking with an average Joe.

I have no pictures of tonight’s meal. However, given the recent posts about Instant Pot, I was looking to start the fall/winter season a little early and so I decided to make a pot roast in my electric pressure cooker (it’s a Cuisinart model). It was a nicely marbled 2-1/2 lbs chuck pot roast that I made with an onion and mushroom gravy. The pressure cooker is a nice option because, rather than spending hours slow cooking in the oven, you can get it done in one hour in the pressure cooker (corned beef comes out great in a pressure cooker too!).

So, to all you Instant Pot owners, I suggest trying out pot roast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Instead of making a pot roast, turn that chuck roast into barbacoa. Yum!

Barbacoa

Prep: 30 min
Cook: 6-7 hours
Ingredients:

3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste)
1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
2 teaspoons salt (plus additional to season roast)
1 teaspoon black pepper (plus additional to season roast)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup beef broth or water

Heavily season chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on smoker at 225 until an internal temp of 165 is reached

While roast is cooking, mix the other ingredients together in a 13x9 or similar aluminum or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of other ingredient mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly. If more liquid is needed to give the meat a good coating, add 1/2 to 1 cup of hot water. Place back into oven and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes until most all liquid has cooked into the meat.

Hummm[emoji848] I wonder what is boiled dinner ��

Typically it refers to corned beef and cabbage as all of the meals ingredients (corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, etc) are boiled in the same pot of water. It’s standard British/English terminology....

It’s a very Northeastern thing to say, especially in the Massachusetts area....”tell yah fah-tha to pahk tha cah in Havad Yad and get in hee’ir, we’ havn boiled dinnah tah-nite....”

It’s a very Northeastern thing to say, especially in the Massachusetts area....”tell yah fah-tha to pahk tha cah in Havad Yad and get in hee’ir, we’ havn boiled dinnah tah-nite....”

Yup. My wife being half Irish loves that stuff. I would send her to her mothers to get her fill. I can’t even stand to smell that stuff, let alone eat it! :pth:

Rob can we interest you in some canned Spam? :) :)

Cliffy, I don’t even know what that mysterious meat is, so no.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.