OB Queen Creek AZ

SKHart77

Oct 1, 2019
Queen creek AZ
Hey guys my husband and I are just starting the process of designing our pool. We’re going the OB method and we used BYOP to do the engineering. We just got our initial design back and I wanted to see if anyone had any input/lessons learned for things they wish they’d done.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• DAF692A0-56B9-4BCB-8FBF-4808987299CE.jpeg
    DAF692A0-56B9-4BCB-8FBF-4808987299CE.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 88
Hello! Welcome to your new best pool buddy place :)

I like the drawing... my only concern is that the shallow end is 3'6".... a bit too shallow to swim in without scraping your knuckles. And make sure that is *water height* and not wall height. Some folks found out too late and have been disappointed when their pool is more shallow than desired.

Keep us updated... pics *always* appreciated!

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Biggt53
Hello! Welcome to your new best pool buddy place :)

I like the drawing... my only concern is that the shallow end is 3'6".... a bit too shallow to swim in without scraping your knuckles. And make sure that is *water height* and not wall height. Some folks found out too late and have been disappointed when their pool is more shallow than desired.

Keep us updated... pics *always* appreciated!

Maddie :flower:
Thanks! How deep are stairs typically? We don’t want to extend past 3 steps because it takes away from the length of the pool and we can’t extend the pool any further :(

It looks like a neat plan.
I prefer the depth of the Baja shelf to be deeper than 6", but it's personal preference, so if you chose 6" water depth intentionally, that's great. If it was just what the planner defaulted to, then I would try and check out some other pools to see what you prefer.
I see an in-floor valve over by the equipment, are you doing in-floor? If you are, depending on the brand and the style of main drain, you may want to add provisions for a debris canister, either in the deck, or pad mounted by the equipment. I would typically expect to see the in-floor valve closer to the pool to cut down on the overall amount of plumbing needed.

It looks like a neat plan.
I prefer the depth of the Baja shelf to be deeper than 6", but it's personal preference, so if you chose 6" water depth intentionally, that's great. If it was just what the planner defaulted to, then I would try and check out some other pools to see what you prefer.
I see an in-floor valve over by the equipment, are you doing in-floor? If you are, depending on the brand and the style of main drain, you may want to add provisions for a debris canister, either in the deck, or pad mounted by the equipment. I would typically expect to see the in-floor valve closer to the pool to cut down on the overall amount of plumbing needed.
Thanks! We chose the Baja shelf to be 6” :) I will def look into the debris canister. We have to narrow down our equipment list today so I’m doing some research on it tonight! We chose to put the pull equipment in the back corner because we’re going to build a wall to hide it. Would this cause any other concerns besides more plumbing (I.e reliability issues)

You are probably better off having the infloor water distribution valve at the equipment pad - especially if it's a ways from the pool and will be behind a wall. This will better protect it from any pool side mishaps (someone tripping on it, pool toys or anything else fallong on it). No reliability concerns.

Also, if you do decide on a debris canister, having it at the equipment may be better. If it ever needs to be replaced it won't require removing any decking to do it - unlike an in deck canister.

Who is the manufacturer of the proposed infloor system? If you aren't completely sold on the infloor - consider ditching it and buying a high quality robot (not thru the PB). Infloor installs are usually expensive. You can get a good robot for under $1000 and a robot doesn't require the pump to be running at a high RPM to clean (pump doesn't need to run at all). While I like my infloor, if I was building a pool today (instead of 20+ years ago) I would get a robot. Be aware that a robot will probably not clean a baja shelf so you will need to brush that to clean it.

Like @cwstnsko, I prefer a deeper baja shelf. To me, 6" of water on the shelf is going to be too hot in the heat of our summers and it will barely cover my legs when I"m sitting on the shelf.

?‍♀️Welcome to TFP. You’ll find a ton of good information. My husband and I used BYOP too and are at the shotcrete phase. Enjoy the process!

You are probably better off having the infloor water distribution valve at the equipment pad - especially if it's a ways from the pool and will be behind a wall. This will better protect it from any pool side mishaps (someone tripping on it, pool toys or anything else fallong on it). No reliability concerns.

Also, if you do decide on a debris canister, having it at the equipment may be better. If it ever needs to be replaced it won't require removing any decking to do it - unlike an in deck canister.

Who is the manufacturer of the proposed infloor system? If you aren't completely sold on the infloor - consider ditching it and buying a high quality robot (not thru the PB). Infloor installs are usually expensive. You can get a good robot for under $1000 and a robot doesn't require the pump to be running at a high RPM to clean (pump doesn't need to run at all). While I like my infloor, if I was building a pool today (instead of 20+ years ago) I would get a robot. Be aware that a robot will probably not clean a baja shelf so you will need to brush that to clean it.

Like @cwstnsko, I prefer a deeper baja shelf. To me, 6" of water on the shelf is going to be too hot in the heat of our summers and it will barely cover my legs when I"m sitting on the shelf.
We are going to use paramount for our in floor but I am 100% sold on the in floor system. My parents house had a robot and I found it really obnoxious :). We’re also hoping the heat pump will help with cooling the pool during the summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long ago did they have a robot? Realize a robot is NOT a water driven pressure side or suction side cleaner. Robots are powered by low voltage electric and do a much better cleaning job than any in floor system or pressure/suction side cleaner. Have a look thru the Pool Cleaners forum. Many members have the Maytronics brand of robot.

How long ago did they have a robot? Realize a robot is NOT a water driven pressure side or suction side cleaner. Robots are powered by low voltage electric and do a much better cleaning job than any in floor system or pressure/suction side cleaner. Have a look thru the Pool Cleaners forum. Many members have the Maytronics brand of robot.
They still have one. I figure worst case we can get one if necessary but from talking to all my neighbors they love their in floor systems and swear by them so I have no reason to believe it won’t work for us :)

I’m going to toss in my 2 cents on this as an advisory suggestion.

Every single additional hole you put in the shell of your pool, is a leak waiting to happen. It is simply a matter of “when”, not “if”.
There is no way I would build a new pool with all those holes and additional expenses, in this modern pool cleaning technology world.

When that IFCS fails, and it will, you will (or someone else) will be dealing with an expense and a headache that could have been prevented in the very beginning. :cheers:

Rotate the pool -90 degrees - Baja shelf next to the patio, pool long side parallel to fence...will give you more patio space.
We thought about this long and hard and decided not to because the large area to the right is going to be grass for volleyball and such. The area to the left above the Baja step is going to be a large structure area that will have a BBQ fire pit etc so I suspect that is where we will be spending most of our time

Post a picture of the "covered patio" for reference....might as well add the backyard pic too.
I’ve attached a photo of our backyard with our plans drawn into the dirt ? that way you can get an idea of what we’re going for. Back left corner is the structure and the plan is to carry the wall for it all the way to the end and put a gate in for the pool equipment access.

Attachments

• C26A38D0-ECAE-458B-BED8-B68E986D9269.jpeg
    C26A38D0-ECAE-458B-BED8-B68E986D9269.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 39
I’ve attached a photo of our backyard with our plans drawn into the dirt ?

Its low tech compaired to all the 3d renderings complete with sims lounging and swimming, but something about the old fashioned way really makes it easy to get a good idea on how its all situated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.