O/B in Gilbert, AZ for 2nd time

I don't know how big our biggest part is. I don't think it's 13' though. My husband had a pool growing up with cantilevered edge and it lasted a long time. I don't think they ever redid the deck. It might have had some cracks but it was 30 years old. Any kind of concrete will crack eventually. I would think if he was worried about it cracking they could use rebar in it to lessen it.

Reactions: Girija
I went and picked up my spa tile today. I love it 😍! I ordered it from Mosaic Tile USA. They are in Phoenix and I wanted to just go pick it up but they don't have any stock. So they ordered this for me and shipping was free. They shipped it to them by mistake though. She was going to ship it to me but I wanted it for Friday so she had me pick it up from her husband's work in Tempe, which is so much closer. I was very impressed with her customer service. E84F6EF6-A2BC-45C4-981C-BB975D5246C3.jpeg

Now for my irritation of the day. My husband and I just went into the pool for the first time since the deck was poured yesterday. The first step is WAY too deep. It was a big drop for me so I can't imagine what it will be for kids. The shotcrete crew is supposed to come fix the spa height today so it will be ready for tile Friday, but it's almost 2 and they aren't here. I'm going to have them add another step because it won't work the way it is. It's 11" to the bond beam but a 15" step.
74E909CA-2583-4CC9-8A10-C85BB1EAA11F.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's the spa that should be 2" above the deck. You can see it isn't 🤨. Shotcrete guy was supposed to come today to fix it but he didn't. FCB5ED1B-E023-4AEB-B86A-2BA0E24CA9CC.jpeg1586E898-4EA5-4230-A3EB-5C9FF4C237E6.jpeg

Love your subway tile!
Now you know why I was such a nit picker on my stairs. That step into the pool is huge. When I worked with our pool designer, I told him even an 8" step down is too much. So I think all of ours are 6" step down and one is out of the water. Hope your crew figures out how to do it without messing up.

Reactions: Nikilyn
I hate to say it but I do not see an expansion joint between the deck and the pool shell.. 1 or both will crack when they expand in the summer... :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't believe how much you have gotten done! I have not come on recently and just looked at yours since we started about the same time and WOW! I love that tile btw. You should be swimming soon!

Reactions: Nikilyn
On the first step being 15 inches step down. .. . If you have coping, it goes on top of what you have and that adds 2-3 inches more. So the first step could be 17-18 inches down.

If you have coping around the spa, that'll add the 2 inches. With what you have there, tile will add 2 inches, even if the tile is a lot slimmer.
I'm also wondering why the area around the edge is so crumbly. It's like they scraped up the scraps in the pool and pushed them down around the edge. Again, I have no idea what they did and yes it'll be covered up with coping but it just looks odd at this point.

What tile is going on the spa? will that tile possibly raise it to 2"? love how it all is looking!

edit: saw the tile, love it
On the top of the spa will be Tahoe Marble.
On the first step being 15 inches step down. .. . If you have coping, it goes on top of what you have and that adds 2-3 inches more. So the first step could be 17-18 inches down.

If you have coping around the spa, that'll add the 2 inches. With what you have there, tile will add 2 inches, even if the tile is a lot slimmer.
I'm also wondering why the area around the edge is so crumbly. It's like they scraped up the scraps in the pool and pushed them down around the edge. Again, I have no idea what they did and yes it'll be covered up with coping but it just looks odd at this point.
The step is 15" from the deck and 11" to the bond beam. They just added a step for us. It's only about 4" high but it will make a huge difference getting in and out of the spa.

As for the edge of the spa being so rough looking, I guess they assumed that we were getting a poured top of the spa like the poured deck. I guess when you get the poured cap the bond beam doesn't need to be very even or nice. If they had asked me I would have told them what we were doing. I didn't know there was a difference in how it's done. One of the drawbacks of being o/b. But today we just paid for the concrete and they are fixing it for free.

I went and picked up my spa tile today. I love it 😍! I ordered it from Mosaic Tile USA. They are in Phoenix and I wanted to just go pick it up but they don't have any stock. So they ordered this for me and shipping was free. They shipped it to them by mistake though. She was going to ship it to me but I wanted it for Friday so she had me pick it up from her husband's work in Tempe, which is so much closer. I was very impressed with her customer service. View attachment 174004

That tile is gorgeous, I’m looking for something like that but a bit darker, will call them tomorrow :) Happy to see mistakes are getting fixed and the build progressing, well done!!

@silvio Thanks! The tile is Aquabella North Seas Icelandic. Another one we were looking at was Irish. It's also gorgeous! (Ignore the white paper. It was my grout 😁.)
3FDEDDCC-0165-4084-AA6A-744C0B121335.jpeg
They have others colors too. This is a great website to look at them but they were more than double what we paid.

Reactions: Silvio
I hate to say it but I do not see an expansion joint between the deck and the pool shell.. 1 or both will crack when they expand in the summer... :(
What exactly does am expansion joint look like? Is it that white thing I've seen on some pools here? If it is, I've never actually seen one of those here.
The deck guy got back to me and this was his response:
Cracks are never a problem. The tile guy lays his tile at the bottom at the deck. You have cold joints in your cool deck top, those are your expansions joints, that is were it supposed to crack.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.