Nothing But Trouble After Switching to BBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your pool water quality is the result of your best decision making ability based off of your test results.

Your pool water quality has been, and I quote, "nothing but trouble".

This has to be either because of a failure of your decision making ability or a failure of your testing.

Now, we are trying to tell you that it is your testing that is at the root of your woes. Are you taking the opposing opinion regarding the source of your problems?

Every pool stores motivation is to sell you products to maintain your pool. Stores that don't subscribe to this idea don't stay in business very long.

And, it is important to note that pool stores and TFP method are rooted in different paradigms. Because of this, both the tests and actions dictated by the data received from testing are different. While both test for FC, pool stores generally abide by the maxim that 1-3 ppm is sufficient regardless of other variables. TFP maintains that other variables--notably CYA levels--determine the necessary FC value to ensure proper sanitation. The manifestation of this paradigm can be seen in the limits of most pool store FC testing. Most of their FC tests do not distinguish between FC levels above 5 or 6 because a reading of 5-6 is ALWAYS high in their estimation. With the TFP method, 5-6 might be a minimum required level depending on your CYA level. Using one paradigm to test and adhering to another to determine action is going to yield poor results. And, often, the blame will be directed at the action.

I was a pool store adherent. I spent a lot of money implementing their cures, but the ailments continued to recur. In frustration, I found TFP, and they included lots of information rooted in science that was understandable and actionable. After reading a bunch, I have switched, and I have gone through the first summer ever completely free of an algae. Talking to the pool store, algae is inevitable given the heat of my location. The money spent on the test kit has been invaluable in understanding the behavior of my pool. I have been able to jump on problems quickly, understand how chemicals have changed the water, allowed me to care for my pool more efficiently, and allowed me to be proactive in my pool care. There is no question that it has already saved me money. Just the fact that I am not dumping in bags of shock weekly to combat some issue (which typically compounds the problem because of the CYA addition), I have off-set the cost of the test kit.

That's my experience. But, the choice is yours. I have friends who have experienced the same problems I have with the pool, have seen my results, yet the choose not to change.

I fixed the problem for the most part. I use 8.25% bleach from HEB. I test the water for FC daily with the home depot kit and digital pH meter(God forbid I bring it to a store to test). Why do I need to drop $50-100 on a test kit when I can just go there for free? How can a store possibly be that inaccurate? I would like to think that no one on here profits off those kits. Change my mind.
The moderators on this forum are recommending that you buy a test kit because pool store testing is extremely inaccurate and you need a FAS-DPD test kit in order to do a SLAM and keep your pool balanced throughout the season. I didn't realize how inaccurate pool store testing was until I took a sample of my clear and balanced pool water to two different pool stores after I got my test kit and got different results from each pool store. My water was algae-free and completely balanced according to my Taylor K-2006 test kit, but both pool stores recommended that I buy over $100 worth of chemicals. One pool store said that I had low PH, high CYA, low calcium, and high phosphates, and the other pool store said that I had high PH, low CYA, high phosphates, and needed a chlorine neutralizer to lower my chlorine level (which was at target level for my CYA!) If I had added the chemicals they recommended, it would have drained my wallet, and could have caused problems for me because my PH and CYA were already within normal limits and I definitely didn't need to lower my chlorine level since it was already at target level for my CYA. You really will save money in the long run if you buy a test kit because you will be able to obtain accurate test results yourself and can shop around for the best price on the chemicals that you need. I usually buy most of my chemicals at Walmart or Amazon now because they have the exact same chemicals as my local pool stores at a much cheaper price.

Why do I need to drop $50-100 on a test kit when I can just go there for free? How can a store possibly be that inaccurate? I would like to think that no one on here profits off those kits. Change my mind.

Do your own research and change your own mind. The pricing information for the proper test kits are all available on line and you can compare the reagent amounts. Take the time to get the facts if you want results and are not satisfied with your situation. As others have already suggested have several pool stores test the same water sample and learn about testing accuracy. Your pool your decisions. Have fun.

The moderators on this forum are recommending that you buy a test kit because pool store testing is extremely inaccurate and you need a FAS-DPD test kit in order to do a SLAM and keep your pool balanced throughout the season. I didn't realize how inaccurate pool store testing was until I took a sample of my clear and balanced pool water to two different pool stores after I got my test kit and got different results from each pool store. My water was algae-free and completely balanced according to my Taylor K-2006 test kit, but both pool stores recommended that I buy over $100 worth of chemicals. One pool store said that I had low PH, high CYA, low calcium, and high phosphates, and the other pool store said that I had high PH, low CYA, high phosphates, and needed a chlorine neutralizer to lower my chlorine level (which was at target level for my CYA!) If I had added the chemicals they recommended, it would have drained my wallet, and could have caused problems for me because my PH and CYA were already within normal limits and I definitely didn't need to lower my chlorine level since it was already at target level for my CYA. You really will save money in the long run if you buy a test kit because you will be able to obtain accurate test results yourself and can shop around for the best price on the chemicals that you need. I usually buy most of my chemicals at Walmart or Amazon now because they have the exact same chemicals as my local pool stores at a much cheaper price.

Thanks for your experiences! Has your water ever looks so good before you found TFP and started testing on your own?

I know my water is almost blinding to look at when the sun is shining on it due to the sparkle! :cool:

Kim:kim:

It never ceases to amaze me how many spend thousands of dollars on a pool but won’t spend $100 on a proper test kit to help care for it properly.

I see this over and over again on these forums.

It never ceases to amaze me how many spend thousands of dollars on a pool but won’t spend $100 on a proper test kit to help care for it properly.

BUT Saturn94, the pool $tore will test it for free! Oh wait! Is it REALLY free if you walk out of there with your arms full and wallet empty??? I hear what you are saying and have shook my head over it many times.

Absolutely! A test kit is not even a drop in the pool in the scheme of things.

With your own test kit you will make that money back in the first month or so of NOT visiting a pool store. My pool is 6 months old and I’ve probably spent a total of maybe AUD$100 on products and most of that was acid and that demand has already dropped as my pebble has cured. The ability to test and treat proactively is invaluable. No one wants to be looking at or swimming in a green or unsanitary pool. Testing yourself and using pool math as your reference is the best way to avoid that.

The only thing I have gotten from a pool store was a free bag of DE that they gave me a coupon for. I have brought samples from the same time and day to different pool stores and they were very close. I appreciate everyone's input, but I cannot justify that kind of money for a test kit. Especially when I can walk less than a mile to get it tested for free. The single most expensive thing I purchased for the pool was a new polaris housing for $30. 90% of my test results from a pool store show I only need a pint of acid or so anyways. Based on my personal experiences, I just respectfully disagree with purchasing a test kit at this time.
I'll post some results (4pm Friday)
FC 2.4 (I know, just added more)
CC 2.5
pH 8.1
CH 124
CYA 36
TA 90

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread needs to be closed down.

OP has been told many times by many people what we need to help and continues to stubbornly refuse. Until we get test results from a reliable test kit there is nothing more to say, if OP will not provide those then this thread is dead and should be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.