not quite 90 degrees on tight PVC turn at pump

Wistlo

Jul 16, 2018
New Orleans, La
My 35 year old in-ground pool installation needed a fix on the pump/filter platform.

The concrete base had sunk at the end opposite the supply and discharge risers coming out of the ground. This put strain on the Pentair side valve TR60 tank, and eventually one of the valve fittings developed a pinhole leak. I removed the tank, re-leveled and raised the slab, and set about redoing all the pump and tank plumbing.

The previous owners or installers had used a flexible coupling in the suction line coming from the skimmer. I did not fully understand why that was there until I started measuring out the replacements. The pipes coming up had been pulled off straight vertical over the years. My newly leveled tank and pump now require a connection that has to make a turn that is slightly greater than 90 degrees.

The other inlet emerges from the ground vertically, but even if not it's a couple feet away and I could accommodate a non-standard angle with a couple of 45 degree couplers. The problem connection is in much tighter quarters.

I have considered these options:
  1. shimming up the pump at the inlet to put it on a slight angle. After all, it ran for years on an angle (the slab was tilted when I bought the place in 1997, when the pool was about 15-20 years old). That would work, but would probably do no favors to the pump and motor bearings, would look horrible, and would immediately identify my installation as sub-standard DIY. And I'd be thinking about it every time I went for a dip.
  2. trying to force the pieces to accommodate the slight angle. I don't think at the distances involved offer enough latitude from pipe flex or fitting play—and pipe that's properly seated in a fitting has very little flexibility with angle.
  3. turn the 2" 90 tee that hosts the two new Jandy valves so the top of the "T" crosses the pump discharge, and then on the right side come back 135 degrees to the riser. (The two black valve bodies would be at opposite ends of the straight T section, with the T base going into pump). That would add distance, protrude into the limited walkway and storage space in the shed, and add addition turns to that skimmer's inlet path. It, too, would look like obvious DIY.
  4. use a new flexible coupling. I did have continuous issues previously with bubbles coming from the return jets (and at times, air build-up in the tank), and I suspected that non-pressure rated rubber coupling as the source. Still, I now better understand why the previous installer (a professional, I am nearly certain) put that rubber piece in there over 20 years ago. (If I elect this option, I'll use a new piece, not the old one shown here).
To summarize, I have to make a 90 degree turn in limited space from pump to riser that's slightly off angle. Ideas (or questions) welcome.

Old coupling, a DWV (drain waste vent) rubber coupling :
flex.jpg

Black valve body on right must join riser 2-3" away, but at not quite 90 degress (easier to see offset in side/elevation view). Other inlet in background (extension cord passes over it).
plan.jpg

Inlet riser at right does not emerge from ground vertically, but at a slight angle. For comparison, look at second discharge riser in background: it is still vertical. Inlet riser was either installed incorrectly, or pulled to an angle by years of misalignment caused by sinking pump/tank base (I suspect the latter). New pieces and valves are not yet glued or fully seated, just placed for measurement:
elevation.jpg

I would carefully hand dig a trench around those four pipes and see if digging down a foot or two gives enough flex to level the pipes.

@jimmythegreek thoughts?

Option No. 5, digging down to expose more pipe. That did not occur to me, and I think I will do that. Harmless to try, and does not involve the permanent compromises from my ideas (tilting pump, crazy piping, leaky rubber joints). Plus, the slow tilting of the pipe probably created stress, in theory, on the buried pipe and possibly even the the elbow down under there. I would be reversing that.

Fill the trench with gravel after you get the pipes connected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.