SaraB26

Mar 22, 2020
Lincolnton, NC
My husband and I are having a new pool installed, and we are having several issues with our builders. The builders are wanting final payment before the pool is complete, and they want us to pay the concrete company directly even though we have no contract with the concrete company only the pool company. Although there are many issues with the install, the biggest concern is how high the pool was installed. It looks like a bubble in the middle of our yard. The crew hit a rock when digging and I think they were just being lazy and said that's good enough. We have already paid over $14k deposit and we are extremely unhappy. We are first time home and pool owners looking for advice and thoughts.

Do you have a payment schedule? I wouldn't make a final payment until they are completely finished and it's passed inspection; otherwise, they have no motivation to finish. What does your contact say about depth? Anything about if they hit rock? Was concrete included in your contract with pool builder?

Reactions: Shirker
Welcome to TFP.

You have already paid 14K deposit on an overall price of?? What is the payment schedule in your contract?

It is a red flag that the concrete company will not give credit to the pool builder. However the positive in paying subcontractors directly is you know the costs and know they got paid and will not come back to you and put a lien on the house if they are not paid by the builder.

You need to have a sit down with the builder and find out if the builder intends to manage the job and you pay all subcontractors directly, which is like an Owner Build. Or if he will act as the General Contractor that you thought you hired.

If you are not comfortable it may be best to pull the plug on this builder sooner rather then later when you are only out $14K.

Do not pay final payment until everything is complete! Do not pay final payment until everything is complete! And make sure the final payment is large enough to have some teeth if the PB decides to call it quits. This is always true and exponentially more true if you anticipate any difficulty in getting the work completed.

The builders are wanting final payment before the pool is complete, and they want us to pay the concrete company directly even though we have no contract with the concrete company only the pool company.
No, no and no. That would be similar to a renovation contractor doing work on your house. You going to pay them in full before it's completed? Absolutely not! I'd re-read the contract and contact state consumer protection for advice. It's free but, unfortunately due to current circumstances, may not be open.

My husband and I are having a new pool installed, and we are having several issues with our builders. The builders are wanting final payment before the pool is complete, and they want us to pay the concrete company directly even though we have no contract with the concrete company only the pool company. Although there are many issues with the install, the biggest concern is how high the pool was installed. It looks like a bubble in the middle of our yard. The crew hit a rock when digging and I think they were just being lazy and said that's good enough. We have already paid over $14k deposit and we are extremely unhappy. We are first time home and pool owners looking for advice and thoughts.

Under NO circumstances EVER pay final payment before job is done. You SHOULD have a disbursement schedule in WRITING before you even started the job. If you are not happy with the work to date you should have already stopped work and pay nothing else.

Never pay a sub directly.

This has all kinds of warning signals going off. Sounds like someone going out of business.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.