Northlake TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello to all and thanks in advance for any information/suggestions.... My wife and I will be first time pool owners. We just moved to Northlake TX on 1 acre property to have more room for our two granddaughters whom we are raising. The girls are 2 and 3 years old and we thought a pool would be a good investment for the girls and our enjoyment. I have been reading thru many threads here on TFP and look forward to feedback. Here is some general information on our new pool:

Plans submitted to the city on 5-10-2017 with expected start date by the end of the month.
IG 20K gal pool with 2 sun decks and no spa.
Pool will be freeform 35x20 approximately and 4-5 1/2-4' depths. Decking 1100 sq ft, Perimeter 105', Pool Area 696 sq ft.
Equipment thus far will be Hayward EchoStar SP3400VSPVR, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus filter(PB checking with city to use DE filter), The Pool Cleaner 2 wheel suction 896584000-013 (PB provides this as standard but I am already researching a Robotic cleaner), 2 LED color changing lights, 3 scupper water features on 24" raised back wall (original design was 18"). SWG!

Decking will be exposed aggregate with Arizona Flagstone trim...

We are trying to keep things simple yet functional for what we hope will provide years of fun. I will try to attach pics of yard and pool design. Thanks again for taking the time to help us out....

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,767
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,808
Pat as a moderator can you tell me the benefit of donating to TFP other than it helps to keep the website going which is a good thing? I want to post more pics but photo bucket does not see to be working for me...Thanks

can you tell me the benefit of donating to TFP other than it helps to keep the website going which is a good thing?
Sure! There are 3 options (badges) offered to support, each with its own advantages. Below is a small example of the bronze benefits. If you click on the link at the top/left of the homepage or my sig below, you'll wee all 3 badge option details. Hope that helps. Thanks for your consideration.

Special supporter only benefits include:
• $10 off of the TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits.net
$10 off any $100 purchase at INYOPools.com
•Access to the V.I.P. Members Only Forums
•Special TFP Supporter Plaque under your user-name inside the forum letting others know that you are a TFP Bronze Supporter.
•Increased attachment space (10mb) - non supporter is 256 kb

Pat as a moderator can you tell me the benefit of donating to TFP other than it helps to keep the website going which is a good thing?
I'll add just a bit to what Pat said......Far and away, the primary benefit of donating to TFP is to "pay the rent".

At any given time, you will see 2,000 people online simultaneously. That number will swell to 4,000 on or around Memorial Day. This is a big website with a voracious appetite for bandwidth and we pay for bandwidth.

Back in the day (2007), we had 30 folks online at any given time and our hosting and bandwidth was tiny and free!! There is no end in sight for this busy, busy forum and we have so far done this without any advertising clutter whatsoever. We are dependent on our members contributions to help defray these expenses.

We are a 501(C)(3) tax deductible organization so any donation you make is 100% deductible.

ct,

A couple things stand out to me.. But I can't tell you what they are unless you donate first...!!! Ok, that part is not true, but you'll feel better if you do.. :p

I own a pool with exposed aggregate and I can tell you I don't like it at all. It is very rough on the feet and hotter than blazes in the summer. I have stamped concrete at my house and it does get hot, but not near as hot or as rough on your feet. I would see what other options are available other than aggregate.

My second thing was about getting a variable speed pump, because it originally looked like you were getting a single speed pump.. but then I saw a VSP in your signature... So good to go there...

I would have the PB plumb a vacuum suction line to the pool with a Jandy valve at the equipment pad.. just in case... But if you buy a robot cleaner, they will have to tear it out of your cold dead hands...

Thanks for posting and looking forward to your pool build.

Jim R.

I will join Jim...I insisted on a VSP due to comments on this site, as for the suction vacuum I figure it comes with the pool and I will get the robot next year after more research then I can use the suction if I ever have down time with robot...I did have concerns on the exposed aggregate getting hot especially with the little ones, I still have time to decide but the good part is the PB has a guy that does the EA in a way that makes it very smooth to walk on. I have gone to 4 of his projects and walked all the decks with grandkids barefooted so we are good on that part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Patrick...I see you are in Midland, I grew up in Odessa :) Can you recommend a Robot? If so please tell me why you chose whatever one you suggest...Thanks so much!

Thanks Patrick...I see you are in Midland, I grew up in Odessa :) Can you recommend a Robot? If so please tell me why you chose whatever one you suggest...Thanks so much!

Hah! Me too, but had to get outta there!

I like the Maytronics M5/500. It's the most powerful of the Dolphin line, and feature loaded. It makes pool care way easier here in West Texas, and you know how dusty and nasty it gets out here. It's good on leaves and other debris from the trees too. I love the third brush, top loading filters, and extra suction/bottom or side cleaning preferences also.

More on them here: Trouble Free Pool

What fun! Getting a pool for your lucky Grands! SO sweet and kind that you are willing and able to take them in! :hug:

The one thing that stands out on your build is the lights. They are on either end of the "swim lane" If you ever want to swim laps at night the light will be right in your eyes and they will also be right where someone might try to do a flip turn. I have a couple of ideas if you are interesting.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Pat...I got out right after HS

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a bunch Kim...please do make any suggestion...

Well here goes:

-on the right side I would switch the light and skimmer. This is for two reasons. Where the skimmer is will be a major walk area to me and you really do not want the skimmer to be walked on that much. I would push it quite a bit more towards the upper right of that area. closer to the planters. That will allow the light be be closer to the sun shelf to light it up even better. That will also move it out of the direct swim lane.

-Left side-again push the skimmer as close to the planter area ad you can. You do not want someone to do a flip on the skimmer face. The light can be move a tiny bit closer to the steps.

Now look at the shelf on the left side with the steps. See where the bottom step meets the shelf in the middle of the shelf? Think about pool cleaners and such..........that is going to be a hard area for it to get to. Your gunite people can keep that from being a sharp "point" like that if you make your wants known.

Let me know what you think. If you do not like my ideas that is fine LOL It will not hurt my little feelings.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Kim - thanks so much for the suggestions. I will speak with PB about changes...I appreciate the feedback!

Felipe - why sand filter? I had not thought about it but open to suggestions....thanks

Sand Filters seams to be the least troublesome and easier to maintain. DE filters are great at filtering small particles, but are more time consuming to clean and add DE again. The sand can last a lifetime, DE is a disposable item. The good news is that Sand is cheap and you can always add DE to a sand filter and make it filter smaller particles if needed. I would guess that more than 80% of pools have Sand filter, followed by cartridge type filters.

Felipe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.