Northlake, TX New Pool Build

I did have concerns on the exposed aggregate getting hot especially with the little ones

Our pool deck used to be exposed aggregate and it was not only hard on bare feet but was blisteringly hot. It looks nice, but I'd consider other options. The lighter the pool deck the cooler it will be. Also, porous stones (limestone, travertine, etc.) will remain relatively cool in the sun. Bluestone/flagstone will get blisteringly hot as well. No fun in my opinion.

Hi ctrav! Found your thread!
Your pool looks like it will be wonderful! The grands will LOVE. It, I know mine do! Thanks for becoming a TFP supporter! You won't regret it! The folks here really are experts and freely offer their help.
Kim is correct about the lights in the swim lane. Also, make sure they are positioned so your sun shelves are lit. My PB didn't listen to me and my tanning ledge is completely dark at night :(

I noticed you put your depths at 4-5 1/2-4 (which is GREAT!), but your document looks like it reads different. Just make sure you and the PB are on the same page.
I would encourage you to keep a calendar of when work happened and any weather or other delays, and keep all email/text correspondence as well as detail your build here. You never know when you'll need to look back on your documentation.

Again, welcome to TFP!!
Blessings!

Thanks for the feedback Nursenini...The drawings are being amended and all should be good including light placement. When I found this site I read thru several pool builds including yours. Lots of good info and I must say we are still nervous about owning a pool. The girls will be so happy for sure. Questions...

How often do you use your pool heater? Would you get one if doing over?
I'm considering aura bright on my pool finish...any thoughts on it?
I decided to go with a 2 speed pump instead of VS but not having a spa I should be fine...
Do you have automation for your pool that can be used on cell phone?
Any concerns with exposed aggregate for decking? I get mixed reviews from my reading

Thanks so much for taking the time and many Blessings back at ya...

Thanks for the feedback Nursenini...The drawings are being amended and all should be good including light placement. When I found this site I read thru several pool builds including yours. Lots of good info and I must say we are still nervous about owning a pool. The girls will be so happy for sure. Questions...

How often do you use your pool heater? Would you get one if doing over?
I'm considering aura bright on my pool finish...any thoughts on it?
I decided to go with a 2 speed pump instead of VS but not having a spa I should be fine...
Do you have automation for your pool that can be used on cell phone?
Any concerns with exposed aggregate for decking? I get mixed reviews from my reading

Thanks so much for taking the time and many Blessings back at ya...

I'm still nervous about having a pool, too! Lol!!

Heater- yes, I'm glad we have it and would do it again. We have used it several times, including for my birthday the end of October. It was hot outside but the water was cold. Heated it up and enjoyed swimming for my birthday! I have also used it to nudge the water up 8-10 degrees so we could swim comfortably when the water wasn't quite warm enough. Of course, we use it for the spa as well. I had not wanted a spa, but hubby did. I'm glad we have it now as the grandkids LOVE it! They call it "the little pool". This winter when we had warm temps, I heated the spa for them to swim in since it was not feasible to heat the pool from 50 degrees.

I dont know anything about aqua bright right but I'm sure others can give you their opinions.

I have a VSP, which was what we wanted instead of the 1 speed pump my builder was going to give me. I don't know enough to recommend a VSP vs a 2 speed. Again, others could probably steer you better on this subject.

We have all Hayward equiptment and automation. We have the Omnilogic system. We were supposed to get the Prologic but switched to Omnilogic specifically for the ability to control it with our phones. I still don't KNOW the system really well but love the functionality of it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of exposed aggregate. From an esthetic standpoint, it's not my thing. I'm more drawn to stamped concrete or travertine (my fav), or pavers. My understanding is that exposed aggregate gets really hot. Our stamped deck gets pretty warm so we end up spraying it down for the kiddos (and my hubby). Travertine is supposed to be much cooler.
If we ever tear out our deck, I will replace it with travertine.

Hope this helps!

My pool dig is scheduled for next week but we are now torn between the proposed design and this one??? PB says he needs to know by tuesday so any thoughts would be appreciated....Pool Design 2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great news PB just called and said the dig will start on Wednesday or Thursday...yea While I had him I asked about Aqua Bright and he does not do it. He did ask if I wanted to do Diamond Bright? From what I read on this site DB has been known to have issues but seems it depends on PB/installer. Any suggestions? Also for my country setting with full sun what is best for color? Light or darker? My wife and I really like the darker pool colors....thanks for the feedback...

I will be going tomorrow Kim...thanks I have been reading up on stonescape and I think I like it better than DB

Pool dig started today and Charlee is wondering what is this...IMG_2524.jpg IMG_2521.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

May just be my imagination but it looks small at this stage...

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 476
Thanks Kim...I will measure tomorrow and Charlee is toooo excited! I hope it can stay dry. All I need is a muddy dog and muddy kids....

Kim I have not but that is an excellent idea...the girls start swim lessons in 2 weeks so I had better get on it...

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have thoughts on prefab equipment pad vs pouring an actual concrete pad? Thanks

Day 2 and pool dig is complete. I had them expand the sun deck on the left side as we felt it was too small for the girls to play on. All comments are welcome...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.