Normal Repair Cost for Heat Sensor Replacement

Sharkygirl

Gold Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Sarasota, FL
Hi, I was wondering what is reasonable for time spent to replace a jandy heat sensor. My pool guy charged me for 4 hours of his time to replace the sensor. I looked up how to do this on youtube and it seems rather easy. He is charging me $125 and hour, that's $500!! WHAT! No Way. How can this be?

Sg,

If all he had to do was replace the part then that is outrageous.. If the problem was odd and he had to troubleshoot the problem to find that it was the temp sensor, then it does seem high but not that bad..

I used to run shops repairing non-pool products.. We would often spend a couple of days to just to find a bad resister or bad solder joint.. Parts cost five cents, but the labor to find the problem is what our customers were really paying for.

Thanks,

Jim R.

$125 sounds excessive as an hourly rate. I guess Jandy parts are bit pricey? I replaced a name brand temp sensor, the new sensor cost me ~$70, and it took me about 30 minutes. Even if Your new Jandy sensor was $100, $100 an hour still sounds excessive. He must have supplied and installed a bunch of new plumbing.

Meh, $100+/- an hour is probably the going rate depending on where you live. But 4 hours is excessive for a professional to do this work. Get a firm estimate in future, before any work is done, and consider finding a new "pool guy".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.