cheapjack

May 2, 2019
Houston, TX
My pump (Jandy 2.7HP Variable Speed Model# VSSHP270AUT) has started making a cracking noise. The noise is coming from the motor side and NOT the pump side. So it can't be the impeller.

Please click on the following link with audio/video:

What do you think it is?
Is it dying?
Can it be fixed/redeemed?
Can I DIY or do I need to take it to a shop?

Thank you for your advice.

Sounds as if something is tapping the inside of the motor casing as it spins around. I've not heard a bearing make that sound, but maybe one of our other members will confirm. Anything odd happen recently? Motor run dry or anything that may have caused warping? How old is this pump/motor? That could determine if it's even worth a repair, or just replacing the motor.

Sounds as if something is tapping the inside of the motor casing as it spins around. I've not heard a bearing make that sound, but maybe one of our other members will confirm. Anything odd happen recently? Motor run dry or anything that may have caused warping? How old is this pump/motor? That could determine if it's even worth a repair, or just replacing the motor.
Thanks for your response.
- No dry running
- Pump was installed in 2013. What is the life of these things?

Pump was installed in 2013. What is the life of these things?
It varies. I've seen some with problems as early as 3 and others moving water at age 15. If I had to throw an average out there, it would be 7-9 year range. Anything past that and you're doing well IMO. Going on 9 years you've done quite well if that's all original.

It varies. I've seen some with problems as early as 3 and others moving water at age 15. If I had to throw an average out there, it would be 7-9 year range. Anything past that and you're doing well IMO. Going on 9 years you've done quite well if that's all original.
Oooh... there goes another $1500 in the money pit! I guess I'll keep it running till it dies and then replace it. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Texas Splash
If you are willing to do it, you can take the pump apart. Remove the bolts holding it together and turn the motor on. If the noise stays with the motor you have found the issue. You may actually find that there is something that is stuck in the impeller and the noise is being transfered to the motor.

It would be best to find a motor shop willing to work on it before you do so as many won't work on a VSP motor for some reason. If you are not familiar with this type of work it is best to hire it out. You will be working with high-voltage (can be dangerous if great care is not taken), communication cables (can easily short the motor or Jandy control), seals, gaskets, and fasteners that can easily damage the pump if not done correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.