'No Flow' Alert From Omnilogic When Using Deck Jets (Which Work Fine)

sib390

May 13, 2020
NC
Hi all! I am looking for the possible cause and hopefully even a solution. Knowing the cause however will go a long way in me coming up with a solution.

I have 4 deckjets. They are all on the same leg of plumbing. In addition, they were installed in a loop so that they all receive the same amount of pressure. Off the filter, everything is supplied with a 2.5" PVC pipe. As you can see from the pic below, the first thing it hits is the SWG. The next thing inline is the flow switch. It has plenty of straight pipe before the switch. I then branch off to three returns and the deck jets. Shortly after the 2.5" pipe goes under ground for the deck jets, it reduces to 3\4". That 3\4" is a continuous loop that feeds every deck jet. (Story continued below)Plumbing.jpg

All that being said, they work great. All 4 shoot into the pool in a near identical manner. I can tell Alexa to turn them on, and the automatic valves close off so that the flow is only to the deck jets.
The reason I do this is so my pump doesnt have to be working as hard as it can to supply enough pressure to the jets. When all other valves are closed off and the pump is running at 45-50%, the jets provide a nice arch into the pool.
Here is where the problems start. After 20 minutes or so, Omnilogic detects no water flow an turns off the pump. There isnt any air in the system. The pump basket is 100% full of water. Once the valves open everything but the jets, the pump is happy as a clam again.
Anyone know the problem?
Is it the reduction from 2.5" to 3\4"? If so, can the flow sensor be disabled in Omnilogic only when I am just running the jets?
Is there really a dangerously low water flow going through the pump when it happens or is this a false positive?
Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

What is the change in filter pressure?

If you have a large increase in filter pressure, the flow rate through the system is probably being reduced too much. You probably just need to bypass a little bit of the water so it is not such a drastic reduction.

@mas985 Thanks! Unfortunately, my pressure gauge is currently not working so I cant tell you what the pressure is.

I was thinking about allowing a little water to go through one of the returns also but I think that means I will have to also bring up the pump speed which is what I was trying to avoid by segregating the deck jets. It makes sense though. Also since I am using the Hayward GVA's, I believe I have to either open a port fully or not at all. If that is the case, then pump speed has to be raised a decent amount.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!!

RPM is going to be the easiest way to control the suction.

Also since I am using the Hayward GVA's, I believe I have to either open a port fully or not at all.
There is a way to change the cam position to allow for partial valve opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.