Newbuild in SoCal - under construction

Early in your postings you were talking about an auto-cover, but this design will not support one. As a Los Angeles area pool owner (PV peninsula) I can tell you an auto cover will significantly extend your swimming season I typically see the unheated pool temps are ~10 degrees F higher than the average ambient temp and with the heater I'm often using our pool in January.

On your Baja shelf, since that is the main entrance to the pool, make sure you look at the step height down from the coping to the shelf - you may want to add an entry step? Also, the steps leading from your Baja shelf to the main pool - make sure those steps have a reasonable rise/step (7” - 8”). Also, check to see if you have room for two umbrella holders on your Baja shelf - you may want to change that to one holder centered on the shelf (we originally had two in our pool plans and the PB pointed out (correctly) that there was not room for two reasonable size umbrellas on our shelf which is 11’ wide by 8’ long.

Good luck.

awesome. thank you for the suggestion. will ask about height / and if needed an entry step.

Early in your postings you were talking about an auto-cover, but this design will not support one. As a Los Angeles area pool owner (PV peninsula) I can tell you an auto cover will significantly extend your swimming season I typically see the unheated pool temps are ~10 degrees F higher than the average ambient temp and with the heater I'm often using our pool in January.
the auto cover was nixed mainly due to budgetary constraints but i totally hear ya. nowadays autocovers are quoted around $20k+ :oops:

Equipment list - not sure if I included everything.

• 1 - JANDY 'VSHP270AUT' 2.7HP FLOPRO PUMP W/ AUTO CONTROL
  • 1 - JANDY 'VSHP165AUT' 1.65HP FLOPRO PUMP W/ AUTO CONTROL
  • 1 - JANDY 'CV580' CARTRIDGE FILTER
  • 1 - JANDY 'JXI400N' 400,000 BTU NATURAL GAS HEATER
  • 4 - JANDY PRO NICHLESS RGBW WATERCOLORS LED (100' CORD)
  • 1 - JANDY 'APUREM' AQUAPURE POWER PACK SCG CELL KITT
  • 1 - PURELINK - 40000GAL
  • 1 - DUAL MECHANICAL TIMER AND 4 BREAKER SLOTS
  • AUTOMATED CONTROLLER FOR JANDY 'AQUALINK RS-PS4' 4 STATION, POOL & SPA COMBO
  • 1 I-AQUALINK WIRELESS CONTROL FEATURE
  • AUTOMATIC WATER-LEVELING DEVICE AND CANISTER
  • PRESSURE VACUUM BREAKER (ANTI-BACKFLOW DEVICE)
  • 50 LINEAR FEET OF 3/4 INCH SUPPLY LINE (FROM P.O.C. TO PVB TO AWL) 100 LINEAR FEET OF 2 INCH PIPE FOR THE MAIN DRAIN
  • 75 LINEAR FEET OF 2.5 INCH PIPE FOR THE SKIMMER
  • 6 THERAPY JETS
  • 2 RETURN FITTINGS
  • 4 DRAIN COVERS
  • 100 LINEAR FEET OF 1.5 INCH PIPE FOR THE POOL RETURNS

I'm guessing that's a waterfall feature of some sort on the left side of the pool as drawn? If so you will want to be sure you get the interlock feature for the pool cover so that the Aqualink knows if it is closed and will prevent the waterfall from running.

I see only one skimmer. Which if you are like me and keep the cover closed when the pool is not in use is probably fine. But if you end up leaving it open all day in the warmer months then a pool that size needs more skimmers.

Also I would ask what the "dual mechanical timer" is for if you are getting aqualink automation.

Regarding the equipment pad it indeed looks pretty crowded to me. Also you should check with your local building department about any restrictions they have on equipment placement. I know my city requires any equipment to be at least 10' from side property line and 5' from the rear property line.

Reactions: Ricecake
I'm guessing that's a waterfall feature of some sort on the left side of the pool as drawn? If so you will want to be sure you get the interlock feature for the pool cover so that the Aqualink knows if it is closed and will prevent the waterfall from running.

I see only one skimmer. Which if you are like me and keep the cover closed when the pool is not in use is probably fine. But if you end up leaving it open all day in the warmer months then a pool that size needs more skimmers.

Also I would ask what the "dual mechanical timer" is for if you are getting aqualink automation.

Regarding the equipment pad it indeed looks pretty crowded to me. Also you should check with your local building department about any restrictions they have on equipment placement. I know my city requires any equipment to be at least 10' from side property line and 5' from the rear property line.
I ended up taking out the water feature so I can afford the autocover 🤣 good looking out as I didn’t get the final drawing yet to reflect this change.

Mostly will keep cover closed whenever we are not in due to little kids. Will ask for one more skimmer (I think pool size ended up being 37.5’x16’)

We will ask for variance to put the equipment pad on that side of the house. It may be a bit tight but there’s really no better place for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please bring up as many items as you’d like! I think we have pre shotcrete inspection Monday so will try to address everything before.

Yes I believe so because we also have to build a housing (I forgot the technical term) for the auto cover as well.

I would suggest having the skimmer and auto fill both framed out together, the auto fill needs the same support as the skimmer.
Find all the bonding wires and tie them to something outside the shell to help prevent them from being buried in the Shotcrete, I also mark the outside of the form to ID its location.
Is the electrical panel going to be free standing?
Will you have a overflow pipe installed?
The spa and pool wall that is shared needs more chairs, from the picture it seems like the cage gets closer to the forms as you get farther from the spa.IMG_5443.pngIMG_5445.pngIMG_5444.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support