Newbie with Pool Under Construction Houston, TX

lonestarcj7

Silver Supporter
Feb 12, 2017
Kingwood, TX
Good afternoon,

I just joined last night and it was suggested that we put our pool construction project here. We shot the gunite in today so things are moving along nicely! I certainly welcome any feedback you can give on our plans/equipment etc. I have been very happy with our pool builder so far. Wish I would have found this site sooner.

Pool Specs:
Freeform Style, 3.5' to 6' Deep Approx 425 sf 11,644 gallons
Raised Spa with Spillway into Pool
Tanning Shelf w/ 2 bubblers
Wet Edge Pebble
Weeping wall water feature with approx 33' of wall coverage, 4 spillways
Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump
Hayward Tristar 2HP Water Feature Pump
3 Hayward Colorlogic LED Lights (1 Spa, 2 Pool)
Hayward 400K BTU Mastertemp Heater
2HP Silencer Blower for Spa
Hayward Omnilogic System
Hayward 525 SF Swimclear Cartridge Filter
Polaris 280 Cleaner w/ Booster Pump
Peace of Mind In-Line Chlorinator

We are thinking flagstone coping and spray deck decking. Also adding a fire pit to match the stone.

Feel free to make any comments and/or suggestions! Equipment hasn't been ordered just yet but will in the next day or so.

Last edited:
HI again!!!! So glad you started this thread! You have come a long ways already so we will pick up where you are now.

Your job right now is to bond with the pool aka water it. It helps it cure. A good soaking once a day during this time of year. You can use a sprinkler to help you when you get tired of doing it by hand LOL

Here is a set of links I have set up for new pool owners. It is a LOT of info. so take it slow and easy. It will all start to make sense when you start using it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is when I also ask you what test kit your PB will be providing. See the corner stone of TFP is caring for your own pool and the only real way to do it is to have your own good test kit. Let us know which one yours will be and we can help you fill in any holes.

How do you plan on chlorinating your pool? I see the Peace of Mind In-Line Chlorinator". That will be good for trips and such but for day to day use it can cause lots of problems down the road. See the tablets that go in those add CYA (stabilizer) to the water. The only way to get rid of CYA is to drain the pool water and replace with new. If the CYA gets too high your FC (free chlorine) will not be able to keep up and keep your pool clear.

Here is a link to the different ways to add chlorine:

Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your pool!

Kim:kim:

Now is when I also ask you what test kit your PB will be providing. See the corner stone of TFP is caring for your own pool and the only real way to do it is to have your own good test kit. Let us know which one yours will be and we can help you fill in any holes.

How do you plan on chlorinating your pool? I see the Peace of Mind In-Line Chlorinator". That will be good for trips and such but for day to day use it can cause lots of problems down the road. See the tablets that go in those add CYA (stabilizer) to the water. The only way to get rid of CYA is to drain the pool water and replace with new. If the CYA gets too high your FC (free chlorine) will not be able to keep up and keep your pool clear.

Here is a link to the different ways to add chlorine:

Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your pool!

I was planning ordering the test kit that you guys recommend to me yesterday.

To be honest I was planning on using liquid chlorine, that is up until now. The more I read the more confused I am. I like the idea of the SWG, and what I have read it seems like it would be good for us. I just need to do some more looking around, and quickly! Thank you for the links.

No worries. If your plumbing is not plumbed with a SWG in the beginning, you can always add one later. In the beginning, you can just add a little regular liquid bleach from HEB or Wal-Mart each day and you'll pool will do just fine. Easy stuff. The test kit is definitely #1 though. I love my TF-100 w/ magnetic speed stir. :stirpot: Enjoy your evening.

I was planning ordering the test kit that you guys recommend to me yesterday.

Did you know if you become a supporting member you will get a discount on the test kit AND more photo storage! It also helps us keep the lights on. The link is at the top of the page.

:hug: It is a lot of info. The SWG is a great thing. It can wait while you learn about your pool and SWG. Until then just add the chlorine like I do. It works fine for me.

Midweek Update - After 2 nights of lurching around this forum I made a few decisions/changes:

1. Ordered my TF-100 testing kit and w/ magnetic speed stir!
2. Will be switching to a robot cleaner, likely this one since everyone seem to be happy with it. http://www.doheny.com/catalog/produ...-Powered-By-Dolphin-InchDISCOUNTED-RETURNinch
3. I told my PB to switch to Pentair Equipment. I read allot about the pool builder holding the warranty card. My pool builder is fine with either brand of equipment but has a relationship with the Pentair folks. After thinking about it, I decided that it would be in my best interest to work with the folks he has relationships with assuming everything else is equal.
4. I will be using liquid chlorine as my avenue for sanitizing the pool

We had a significant rain yesterday so no work was done yesterday or today. I am told the will be back tomorrow to install the plumbing and be ready for inspection for Monday! We picked out the flagstone coping today and have narrowed down the wet edge satin finishes. Just need to finalize those, the tile and the final color of spray deck.

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts through out the forum. I look forward to learning more!

Thank you!

AND got a pretty badge by your name! THANKS!!

You have made some great progress with all of the above ^^^^^! NICE job!

If you would like us to help you pick out the color and such you can post pics with the combos you are thinking about and we will vote on them.

Good morning and Happy Friday! Things are moving along nicely. Plumbers are plumbing away! Got our equipment pad poured and equipment is being installed. Here is an updated list. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

PRODUCT IDCATEGORYDESCRIPTIONCOMMENTS
PF011055PUMPINTELLIFLO VARIABLE SPEED PUMP (VSP)MAIN PUMP FOR POOL AND SPA
PF011774PUMP2HP WHISPERFLO PUMPWATER FEATURE
PF160332FILTER520 CLEAN AND CLEAR PLUS CARTRIDGE
PF601012LIGHTINTELLIBRITE MULTI-COLOR 12VMAIN POOL LIGHTS
PF640132LIGHTINTELLIBRITE MULTI-COLOR 12VSPA LIGHT
PF619963TRANSFORMER300WATTSFOR LIGHTS
PF460736HEATER400K BTU MASTERTEMP NAT GASWILL HEAT SPA AND POOL
PF520540AUTOMATIONEASYTOUCH 8 PANEL CONTROL BOARDEQUIPMENT WIRED TO THIS PANEL
PF522104AUTOMATIONSCREENLOGIC INTERFACEPHONE APP CONTROLLER
AS6320201BLOWER2HP 240V SILENCERFOR SPA
RB171218SANITATION320 INLINE CHLORINATOR
LLT40FBAUTOMATIONFLUIDMASTER AUTO FILL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IC60/salt if you can afford it. You can buy it as a bundle with the Easytouch. The inline feeder will continue to increase your CYA until there is too much.

Check out the Quad DE filters. They have almost all the benefits of a chartridge filter, and all the benefits of a DE filter, with fewer of the downsides of each. If DE is not allowed in your area, strike this.

Consider the 2" pool lights. less obtrusive, and more distributed light. Put in 6 or more even.

Get a Raypack 406 heater. Simple, quiet, effective, and works great with easytouch.

"PF011774 PUMP 2HP WHISPERFLO PUMP WATER FEATURE" More details please....is there a way you will be able to control the water flow?

Good evening!

So I will be able to adjust the flow, it's just with manual valves.

PB is doing a nice job, tile and flagstone coping nearly complete, plumbing and electrical ready for inspection tomorrow. Looks like we will be working on decking as early as Friday.

Received my test kit!

Told the PB I was going with the robot, the pool is plumbed for the suction cleaner but will be capped at the pad. Time to order the robot!

Things are moving along nicely, equipment was installed, plumbing and electrical completed, tile, stone and coping installed. Getting ready for the decking, was ready for concrete Saturday but it as been raining quite a bit.

I do have a question, since I am going to order a robot, I asked the PB not to install the cleaning pump or to provide a cleaner. The pool is plumbed for it so if we ever decide to install in the future it should be an easy connect. Is there any reason to go ahead and install the pump? Will I need a vacuume of sorts other than the robot?

IMG_0493.jpgIMG_0539.jpg

I love that stone work! So pretty!!

I think every pool owner should have a manual vacuum just in case they need it. You never know when you will need to spot clean for one reason or another. I guess the pressure side could help with that BUT the manual vacuum can use the skimmer and current pump to work so that saves money. It is up to you.

It's been a while since I have posted. Pool for the most part is finished and we have been enjoying. The pool builder only has a few punch list items to complete. Over all we are pleased, only a few minor challenges along the way. That's to be expected. Below are some pictures, sorry for the poor quality, it's starting to get dark.

IMG_1038.jpgIMG_1039.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.