GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I recently made the switch to a SWG, and it was installed this past Saturday, 5/27. Earlier this month, I completed a SLAM process, and the water has been crystal clear since then, so I was nervous about screwing things up with the new SWG install. Fortunately, the water still looks great! However, I do have a few questions.

On the day of the SWG install (5/27), I was instructed to keep the SWG off for the first 24 hours. I tested FC that night and it was 5ppm. A little paranoid, I decided to add 1 gallon LC because I was expecting a large swim party the next day plus lots of sunshine, so I thought the water could use an extra boost. The next day (5/28), I turned the SWG on around 1:00pm at 50%. The party went great, lots of swimming & sunshine, and the water still looked clean. I tested FC that evening, and it was 10.5ppm, so I lowered the SWG to 40%. To my surprise, I tested FC on 5/29 and it was 11ppm, so I lowed the SWG to 30%. I tested again today and got the same 11ppm FC reading! So, I lowered the SWG to 20%.

My question is: should I really turn down the percentage any lower? Clearly, the SWG is generating enough chlorine since the FC level is staying above 10ppm. Will keeping the SWG at 20% help extend the life in any way? Also, is there something else that could be contributing to the high FC level? I would've thought it would lower by now without adding any additional chemicals.

Also, my other test results look ok (see below), but salt somehow got too high, so I'll likely need to drain some water and refill.
  • CC: 0ppm
  • pH: 7.6
  • TA: 60ppm
  • CH: 90ppm
  • CYA: 50ppm
  • Salt: 4,200ppm

What SWCG was installed? Please update your signature.
You can lower the SWCG % or run the pump shorter times.

Just updated the signature. It's a AquaRite T-15 900.

Also, the variable speed pump is currently running 24/7 at different speeds. I set that schedule during SLAM and decided to keep it for now. I can change it though if that would make more sense.

I assume you removed the Nature 2, or hope you did.
You do want to lower the salinity with that SWCG. High salinity can damage the control board components.

Lower the % to 15. See how it goes. Soon you will need to increase it.

Will keeping it at a lower percentage help extend the life in any way?
No, life is same 100% for 12 hours, or 50% for 24 hours. If your percent is lower you have to run longer to produce same chlorine. Life is only taken when the cell is running.

Reactions: ugadawgs311
No, life is same 100% for 12 hours, or 50% for 24 hours. If your percent is lower you have to run longer to produce same chlorine. Life is only taken when the cell is running.

Actually, I would say yes. In this situation, he is running the pump 24 hours a day. Therefore, his SWG is on for 24 hours per day. He is asking if running, for example, at 15% instead of 20% will extend the life of the cell. Since he is overproducing chlorine now based on high FC test results, lowering the percentage to the point where the FC is in the recommended range should extend the life of the cell. It will be running for 15% of the 24 hours instead of 20% of the 24 hours.

Actually, I would say yes. In this situation, he is running the pump 24 hours a day. Therefore, his SWG is on for 24 hours per day. He is asking if running, for example, at 15% instead of 20% will extend the life of the cell. Since he is overproducing chlorine now based on high FC test results, lowering the percentage to the point where the FC is in the recommended range should extend the life of the cell. It will be running for 15% of the 24 hours instead of 20% of the 24 hours.
This was my thought as well. It’s gotta be working less if the % is lower, and the runtime is the same.

I guess my next task is determining if running the pump 24/7 is the best/most efficient option for me…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good catch!!!

@ugadawgs311 my post is still valid. So is @Homebrewale

Running 24/7, at 15%, the cell will last longer than 20%.

@mknauss was saying that while you are reducing the % to get your FC come down, when it gets to target range, you will have to increase % to maintain at target range. Also, during the summer your FC demand will increase and you will need to increase the % again to compensate.

Hope that clarifies all of it...

I guess my next task is determining if running the pump 24/7 is the best/most efficient option for me…
24/7 is a great option, from this perspective. You have a VSP and can run at low speed, which will save $ over high speed. The second benefit is that you are constantly adding chlorine 24/7 with the SWCG. This keeps your FC demand and FC production in equilibrium...nice steady FC in the pool. You just need to adjust % for the season. Higher in the summer, medium in shoulder, low in winter if you keep it open.

Why do you say that? Do they initially run high the first few days or so?
The first half of the season, daily UV demand slowly climbs. The back half of the season, it slowly falls. Think of a bell curve. You'll need very little FC per day at the ends of the season, and the most in the middle.

Once dialed in, you'll be raising the SWG runtime until Mid season, and then from there on out, you'll be lowering it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.