Newbie Testing CYA

boltjaM3s

Jan 21, 2019
Houston, TX
Hello guys,

so I got my Taylor 2006c kit, and started performing the test. Here are the following results:

FC - 6
pH - 7.9
TA - 70
CYA - 0 (I think)
Salt - 3400

My question is regarding the CYA. I performed the test according to the instruction label in the inside lid of the 2006c container. However, as I was filling up drop by drop into the test bottle- I was able to fill it up to the complete top with the dot still faintly visible.

Does that mean my pool doesn't have any CYA and I need to do something about it? Or does the faintness indicate there is some but way less than 30?

Thanks!

Have you added any CYA? You do get a bit of rain so the dilution of what you had, if any, could have dropped it below 30ppm.

With a SWCG, I suggest you add 30 ppm worth of CYA and wait a week then retest. Once you get a good test, you can see how much you need to get to 70 ppm CYA or so.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Boltja, what is your water temp currently?
Bring the water sample inside and let it get to room temp, if your pool water is under 70 degrees.
It affects the cya test accuracy.

You're in Houston though so probably fine on the water temp.

Have you added any CYA? You do get a bit of rain so the dilution of what you had, if any, could have dropped it below 30ppm.

With a SWCG, I suggest you add 30 ppm worth of CYA and wait a week then retest. Once you get a good test, you can see how much you need to get to 70 ppm CYA or so.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....
I haven't added any CYA in the last 3 weeks. I just got the 2006C test kit, so this was the first time I tested for CYA. Before this, I used test strips that didn't have CYA testing.

Boltja, what is your water temp currently?
Bring the water sample inside and let it get to room temp, if your pool water is under 70 degrees.
It affects the cya test accuracy.

You're in Houston though so probably fine on the water temp.

The water temperature reading in the control box of the SWCG was around 77 degrees F. But this is helpful information.

I'll be adding CYA and retest the water.

I'll be adding CYA and retest the water.

Bolt...make sure you add CYA using the sock method. Follow Marty's advice so you don't overdose...too much CYA is not a good thing. The instructions for the "pool conditioner" will direct you to dump it into the skimmer. Here are instructions from Pool School:

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Bolt...make sure you add CYA using the sock method. Follow Marty's advice so you don't overdose...too much CYA is not a good thing. The instructions for the "pool conditioner" will direct you to dump it into the skimmer. Here are instructions from Pool School:

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Thanks for quoting that- I recall reading the proper instructions in Pool School, but you made it much easier to find it! Thanks!

A quick question- I went to my neighborhood pool store and ask for CYA. They gave me a liquid stabilizer and told me to simply pour it into the pool near a skimmer. I asked for the solid CYA and was told there is no such thing as a solid/granual CYA. I'm guessing the store guy was misinformed?

Very misinformed. The liquid is 3+X the price of the solid. So probably why they do not carry it. Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, etc typically have granular CYA/Stabilizer/Conditioner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.