Newbie Pool Question

Not fully. The use of trimmings is not an unusual practice during the construction of a pool. I'm not saying it is a good practice because I don't like it and would not allow it if I was present and it was my pool.

It is very difficult to get the kind of compaction a gunite/shotcrete nozzle gets when using the trimmings to fill out a wall. This lack of compaction, the addition of a little water to make it easier to work with, results in a softer concrete that can allow tile and plaster to seem to fail.

There are other potential reasons. Crappy thinset and grout, crappy tile, less skilled installer, etc... are also possible. The use of trimmings is the worst of them and easiest to hide.

Whoever did the latest patch with the slate was not particularly neat. I can't believe that any proper prep work was done.

The 1st set of pix from the Realtor are the telling ones. Texas isn't known for winterizing and covering pools. The damage seen is also often seen in the northern climates when a heavy cover is dragged over it and it rips the tiles off (which shouldn't happen). That it's still happening tells me something else is probably going on and needs to be looked at.

Scott

Scott seems to have this covered (no wonder, he really knows his stuff :cool: )

There was a thread here from a couple years ago on the use of rebound while shooting a pool.

If the wall behind it IS sound, it looks like you have a standard sheet tile, i.e. readily available, that can easily be patched :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.