Jul 12, 2021
SE Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
New pool owner here and I have my first issue. My water was cloudy yesterday morning - I tested the water and there was just about zero Total Chlorine. I recently purchased a TF 100 test kit. Pool is an above ground, 8,800 gallon pool with a Hayward automatic chlorinator. I checked the chlorinator and found that it was empty. I shocked the pool and refilled the chlorinator and dialed it just about to max. The water is slightly clearer today, but still a bit cloudy and the Total Chlorine is still measuring below the lowest level on the tester.
Should I shock again, stay the course and let the total chlorine level come up on it's own, or go a different route? Also, should I test and/ or post any other values? As I mentioned, I new to the TF 100 and not really sure what tests to perform.
TIA

Welcome to the forum!
Run a full set of tests and post them here. Better is to enter them into your Poolmath app as you are sharing your logs.
TF-100's YouTube Channel
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Ok, I have attempted a full set of tests and entered them into Poolmath - most of my results (if I performed the tests correctly) are not looking too good. I am not sure what to try to adjust first (and in some cases, how to adjust). I appreciate any advice.

Great job on the tests. Is your pool an above ground pool?

Please fill out your signature. Create Your Signature - Further Reading

EDIT - I see in your first post it is an above ground.

Drain 1/2 to 2/3rds of the pool volume and refill. That will lower your CYA. Once full and circulated, run the CYA test again.

Add a half gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to the pool once you start refilling it.

Reactions: miscad
Ok, I have attempted a full set of tests and entered them into Poolmath - most of my results (if I performed the tests correctly) are not looking too good. I am not sure what to try to adjust first (and in some cases, how to adjust). I appreciate any advice.
Your test results aren't that horrific actually. Lower the CYA and SLAM that pool back to being clear!

Drain 1/2 to 2/3rds of the pool volume and refill. That will lower your CYA. Once full and circulated, run the CYA test again.

Add a half gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to the pool once you start refilling it.
Any clue as to why the CYA is so high? I’d like to avoid that in the future if I can. I think I’ve read that it may have to do with the chlorine tabs that I am using in my automatic feeder?

Any clue as to why the CYA is so high? I’d like to avoid that in the future if I can. I think I’ve read that it may have to do with the chlorine tabs that I am using in my automatic feeder?
Those tabs are the devil for high CYA :devilish:. Like Marty said, use liquid chlorine. Tabs can be used if you CYA is low enough and you'll be away from the pool for vacation or travel. But generally, steer clear!

Those tabs are the devil for high CYA :devilish:. Like Marty said, use liquid chlorine. Tabs can be used if you CYA is low enough and you'll be away from the pool for vacation or travel. But generally, steer clear!
Should I wait until the tabs in my feeder run out, or take them out (if so, what do I do with them?).
I am assuming I should not use the remaining tabs.

When draining the pool, I think i have read to set my filter to "waste" - is that correct?

TIA!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I wait until the tabs in my feeder run out, or take them out (if so, what do I do with them?).
I am assuming I should not use the remaining tabs.

When draining the pool, I think i have read to set my filter to "waste" - is that correct?

TIA!

Yes if you have the waste option, that will work.
I personally would take those tabs out now. You can keep them and reuse them later when you CYA is lower and if you're going to be out of town for a while or need a CYA boost. Lay them out in the sun to dry and then store them in a container/bucket with a lid.

I am now in the process of refilling the pool after draining about half of it. The product I have is Austin's Pool Tech Shock and the ingredients are Sodium Hypochlorite - 12.50% and Other Ingredients - 87.50%. Is this products ok to use? If so, should I just add 1/2 gallon of it and test?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.