Newbie from NY

nyhamish

Sep 2, 2021
Poughkeepsie, NY
Hi, I'm here and completely clueless. I own a house with a 26,000 in-ground pool. The house was abandoned for 7 years and the pool was a frog pond when I bought it. I've since had a guy come in and clean out the pool, fix the walls and floor, put a new liner in and a new pump. I've taken delivery of about 24,000 gallons of water. The filter is working and the plan is to make this a saltwater pool, but I currently don't yet have a saltwater system in place.

The pool has trees, around it, which are going to be cut down but haven't been yet, so I have some amount of leaves in the pool. I'm out there every day or two removing as much as I can with the net. One of the two skimmers is down, not that it matters at this point as the pool took on about 4 more inches of water in the last two or three days and the skimmers are all under water now. I can't evacuate any water, yet from the pool as the filter flush currently has a T outlet and when I turn it to flush only one of the two outputs has a pipe on it and so the water flushes out the other outlet and flows into the area where the filter sits. I've shocked the pool with HTH a couple of times, but that doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. Something of a mess.

I'm hoping to learn as much as I can here and get this thing under control. I recognize that the first step is getting the saltwater system in place. I've talked to my guy a few times, but like everything with this guy, he's not very responsive.

All this said, I love the pool and I've enjoyed it greatly in the last two weeks since it was filled. I just wish I could get it better under control.

To that end I've been reading here and I think I need to SLAM it, but before I start that I need test kits. And it's all making me a bit crazy. But I'm certain I can get this under control.

Anway, I'm new and clueless and hope I can learn enough to turn my pool into something I and my family can really enjoy.

Tony