Newbie Build - 27' Round AGP - Help Me build This OR ELSE

its almost easier to just got flexible pipe at this point, and return a ton of this stuff. Has nobody ever hard piped an above ground pool and realized the stuff doesn't fit together? doesn't make sense. seems like this should have been covered already, by someone, at some point in time.

If i recall my skimmer has the barb on it but my returns are threaded so i was able to just put valves on them. I remove all the hoses & valves for the winter - lots of people also store their pumps in the winter too.B11BE1D3-0A90-42C6-9815-0CEF92BAC1EB.jpegF1A44030-665E-45B2-844D-9ED6649293ED.jpeg
Generally they are designed to be used with hoses. The pool installer thought i was nuts because i wanted valves

I think i may put a valve @ the pump on the skimmer side as its the the most important one to have. Right now to clean out the pump basket i block the flow with a foam football ?
You may have better luck just replacing your jets with standard ones like this that would accept pvc fittings B4E5ADEB-54A7-4D72-85B4-89AA00673D06.pngF94CAC62-4167-4D35-A5A5-D1308F838A84.png

I was coming here to say just that.............cut off the barb and go from there. Those are made for hoses and you do NOT want to go that route...........I know! We came home from dinner out one night to see the water lower and some sand washed out from under the pool due to one of those hoses coming loose from it's fitting :( Spent quite a bit of time shoving sand, by hand, back into the area and husband was inside the pool helping to smooth it and keep if from bunching up as I pushed it in.

Make sure to put a valve under the skimmer and return or a foam football LOL whatever works to stop the flow of water. My pools directions said to DRAIN the water down below the return to work on the equipment!!! UHHHHHH NO---------valves and unions!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
This is what we've used. You can't see the skimmer but it's the same as the return. There is a barb but not as big as the one on yours:

thanks. looks like those fernco fittings are not meant for pressure. more pressure and chance of failure coming from return rather than skimmer. also is that pvc or conduit lol?

return hole in pool is 2.13" according to digital caliper so doesn't that fit a 2" return? can i get one with a 1.5" slip connection?

also decided to buy a wall saver gasket so i can use the one for the return, and ill put a second coat of rustoleum industrial glass black enamel around the edges.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks. looks like those fernco fittings are not meant for pressure. more pressure and chance of failure coming from return rather than skimmer. also is that pvc or conduit lol?
Fittings 5 years and counting with no failure. Can't say the same for those flexible hoses that failed on a regular basis.
Electrical PVC that is resistant to UV, no hard 90d bends.
. . . . to buy a wall saver gasket so i can use the one for the return, and ill put a second coat of rustoleum industrial glass black enamel around the edges.
Get the butterfly gaskets, don't separate them and install so it's from inside the pool to outside, looks like this: return plate, gasket, liner, pool wall, gasket, outside return plate. For the skimmer same layers: skimmer face plate, gasket, liner, wall, gasket, skimmer housing. Don't follow Hayward's directions if they are different.

Edit: Oops, had to ask hubbie in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
It is 1 1/2" schedule 40 electrical conduit, resistant to UV, no hard 90d bends, meant for underground use. Better than PVC. Inspector also recommended it's use since we were moving the equipment ~20 ft away from the pool.
Also not Fernco fittings. Those are only for sewer lines. I can't find the manufacturer but if you want me to, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
got the retaining wall blocks in, need to start install soon. also built a pump house that looks pimp. too tired to take photos though. used treated 8ft 4x4 posts that are 4+ft buried, 2x6 treated rafters, 3" stainless deck screws, 1.5" metal to wood gasketed roofing screws, unpainted galvalume roof, 1/64 edge molding, four 20" patio stones with gravel, base, and leveling sand. double gang weatherproof gfci box with matching colored weather resistant outlets and post cap, also on 4x4.

Last edited:
That’s awesome. If you cover the sides with the material of your preference it will direct most of the equipment noise away from the pool.

Ok got the plumbing all roughed in and equipment in place. 1.5" schedule 40 PVC, primer & clear heavy duty PVC cement, all hayward unions, and blue monster PTFE tape. 20" depth, and lined up perfectly & plumb for skimmer and return. Everything is square and level. I have krylon fusion grey rattle can paint for plastics, I'll do that maybe tomorrow for exposed PVC (not unions tho). I want to investigate if I can shorten the Hayward pump cord length for a cleaner install. Maybe about ready for a liner tomorrow, what do you think?
POOL25.jpgPOOL24.jpgPOOL26.jpg

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.