Newbie- bacaquil to TFP

The rain won't hurt your process at all. But continue to monitor the FC. If you pass the OCLT, then yes.. then it's filter cleaning time. :) If you've never opening that thing up before, now would be a good time to check the owners manual and/or look at some YouTube videos in advance so you know what the laterals and center stand-off pipe are like.

That's good news and I'm learning , funny u bring up YouTube I just got through looking at some videos of cleaning the filter. What's really nice I do have a big shop vac. I feel more and more confident as I get closer to changing that dirty sand ! I'll keep you posted and thanks sooooo much!:lovetfp::rockon:

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping this rain will ease up so I can go get that other OCLT! Might have to use my umbrella! Lol!
thank you

You are welcome. Let's hope you have a nice, quiet, uneventful afternoon/evening babysitting the FC level while watching the rain come down. Before bed, adjust FC and take/confirm your part 1 FC test for the OCLT and we'll keep our fingers crossed. :)

Okay, now just to be sure ...... is it dark there? If there is any sunlight still out it will eat even a little FC. So you want to be sure it's dark and save ALL the FC in that water for the OCLT only, and not give any to the sun's UV. Me personally, when I do an OCLT, I adjust and test my final FC just before bedtime. Just to be safe.

It has been very cloudy today and we have had rain. At 9:50 my FC was 14.5 so I added the recommended amount 10 oz. I will be checking before bed about 10:30. This should give me the final reading then . I will post it before bed.
thank you for your help. And I will be here in morning.

Good morning! Okay, we know we wanted to see no more than 1 ppm FC loss overnight. That didn't happen ... BUT ... Lee and I suspect there may be other factors contributing to the odd readings. For example, last night at 10:00PM you added 10 ounces of bleach to go from 14.5 to 15. When I check though, it should take 7.7 ounces of 8.25% strength bleach to rise that much (.5 ppm). But instead, your FC actually went much higher to 17.5 which would be 46 ounces of 8.25% bleach. :confused: So there may be a small testing value error somewhere. That's something I will try to help you with later. Either way, I think we need to take you to the next step .... the filter. Are you ready?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright! Now it’s time to take care of that filter. Be prepared, as it may be a bit nasty in there. Keep your filter owner’s manual handy and follow its procedures for disassembly, reassembly, and maintenance. If you don’t have it, here is one of Pentair’s manuals:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/sandfiltersysgenericOM.pdf

Here are also a few of my own tips/reminders:
- Take a pic of your filter and multiport valve just as it is before removing so you remember what position to reinstall it.
- Always turn the multiport valve in the same direction whenever you move it to a new setting.
- Use care when removing the valve, retaining collar, vertical stand-pipe, and laterals (fingers) to avoid breakage.
- Use care when manually scooping-out any “goo” and using your Shop-Vac as to not damage anything inside the filter; be very careful whenever handling those laterals/fingers at the bottom.
- Once everything has been removed/cleaned, and you have reinstalled the laterals/vertical stand-pipe, reinstall the filter’s drain plug and fill about halfway with water BEFORE pouring-in the sand. This is to protect the laterals from breaking under the weight of the sand as you pour it in.
- You should have a stand-pipe cover (sand guide) to keep sand from going down into that pipe when adding sand. If you don’t have the factory one, an old soda can (with one end cut-off) should work fine.
- Slowly begin filling with sand. Ensure to keep the stand-pipe straight and centered as you fill.
- Continue to add sand to the recommended level (probably somewhere around ¾ of the way)
- Remove the stand-pipe cover/sand guide.
- Make sure to clean the top of the filter to remove any debris, sand etc before reassembly. If you have an O-ring at the top for your multiport vale, now is the time to lube it with some silicone-based pool lube (i.e. Magic Lube). Do NOT use any petroleum-based household lubricants like WD-40, Vaseline, etc.
- Perform an initial backwash (about 3 minutes) and thorough rinse (at least 30 seconds or more until clear) before setting the selection valve back to filter mode.

Once you have completed the filter cleaning and the system is operating again like normal without leaks, let me know. I want to go over some Poolmath calculator stuff before we start adjusting CYA and FC to ensure you receive the expected results. I’ll be watching for your update.

Houston we have a problem!! Lol!
My hubby went to check it out to start the cleaning and we have to go back to hardware store for fittings for the pipes. He is actually going to have to cut one of the pipes leading to the pool. When installers put the pool in for some reason they did not use some kind of screw on fitting and glued it instead ! Go figure! So we are on our way to town (20 miles from here lol!) to get the things we need! I was so ready to do this and once again a problem!
so when we get back it will be thunder storming rain and it will be delayed again!

So I am going to keep the pool at 15 till I am ready or should I let that drop?:sad::rant::rockon:

Okay, no problem. Sounds like he needed to get a union fitting to remove the parts in the future. That's good. Until you are ready to start, just keep the FC elevated at 15 ppm. You won't lose anything other than a little time. The additional time of FC working will only help. Once you get back and complete the repairs and/or the weather cooperates, go ahead and do the filter cleaning as noted in post # 131 above and we'll go from there. I'll try to watch for updates as the day goes on.

No updates today, so I'm guessing between the plumbing repair (fittings) and weather you haven't been able to go after the filter huh? Hopefully still able to maintain the FC of 15? I'll watch for any updates tomorrow. Have a good evening.

It's late but we have had down pours of rain but I have been able to keep my FC up.
At 1:30 today I went to do a reading and the FC had dropped to 11 so I added bleach I drop the whole dang bottle in the pool and it sank to the bottom! Thought that thunder and lightning had for sure got me ! Lol! :oops:
So I scoop the bottle out and ran back in the house.
So at 7:30 tonight it slacked off enough to do the test and my FC was 18.5 go figure.
we have more rain tomorrow so I'll keep you posted .
:rockon::lovetfp:

LOVE the shiny badge by your name! BLING!

Oh man! I bet your heart sank when you saw that bottle drop.........oops! That is my biggest worry when I pour anything in. I send my hubby after it when it does happen and I cannot get it out with the net.

You are doing a great job and you will come to LOVE your pool and how easy it is to take care of after this is over. Just think! You should never have to do this again with what you have learned here.

:hug:

Kim:cat:

Well thanks to all of you for all the wonderful help! I love my bling and to support this site is well worth it! I recommend everyone to support this site. This would have been a horrible process to have to travel 20 miles each way to the pool store and not to mention all the $ I would have had to spend!

I have been keeping the FC up as I stated last night. I checked it this morning too it was
FC 15.
I am keeping a journal as suggested too. I'm reading a lot of things on this web site and learning so much.

so I'll keep everyone posted on my results!:lovetfp::rockon:

You are learning and wanting to learn more. I am going to give you a head start...............click on the "table on Contents" on the left side of the home page. That is where I get the links I share on the board...........it is FULL of stuff!

See that search bar at the top right? If you want to learn or know about xx type it in there and it will take you to TFP threads on that subject! COOL huh?

PLEASE ask any and all questions you have. As you have seen we LOVE to help!

NOW do something for me! Post a picture of your pool and area! We LOVE pictures!

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.