Newbie- bacaquil to TFP

Progers, our apologies, but it looks like Lee got pulled away for a bit. Not to worry, we've been following and want to see you complete this process, so we're going to do just that until Lee gets back. Now that you have your FAS-DPD reagents, we are going to continue where you left off. Since this thread took a lot of "turns & merges" from other posts, we're going to re-cap a few important things okay:
- While your water looked much better a few days ago, the baqua is still in the system; do not let anyone swim in it yet
- We are going to follow the Baqua conversion page to the letter to ensure 100% completion; I (or Lee) will guide you
- It "may" be a bit early to do the OCLT, but since you started, check the FC in the morning, post your FC loss, and we'll continue from there

I have a list of instructions prepared for you tomorrow morning as soon as you post your OCLT results. Don't be discouraged if it you fail the OCLT first time, it's still early. Tomorrow will be a big day for you and your pool. We'll chat tomorrow morning. :)

I'm terribly sorry about running off like that. I received "the call" yesterday that a member of the family passed away. We tossed the kids in the van and took off. I'll take our performance overall, packed for a family of 5 including a three month old in just over an hour. :) I'll be hit and miss the next few days but I'm sure you're in good shape.

Now onto the test,
With your starting chlorine point at 4ppm and a rather low CC level you appear to be in good shape......but let's finish everything off to make sure. Tomorrow before the sun rises retest your waters chlorine level. As long as the chlorine level is over 3ppm you're in great shape. If it's under 3ppm your test failed. So........

If you pass the test tomorrow go ahead and then retest the CYA levels. We'll see just where that's at. You'll also be able to change the sand, something that is required after the Baquacil conversion.

If however your test fails add enough bleach to increase the chlorine level to 15ppm. Mix it VERY well by brushing the pool throughly.

Crossing our fingers for a pass on your test tomorrow! My gut says we'll see a great result!

Do you need any of the other readings I took this morning ? If not pool math tells me to add 120 oz of 6% bleach to reach the 15. So Should I keep that reading for FC at 15 all day until tonight before the OCLT?
My weather here is cloudy and some showers expected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Progers, sorry we've been gone this morning. Crazy everywhere. Okay, since you lost more than 1 FC overnight, you are correct - bump your FC back-up to 15 and keep it there as much as you can all day today. Focus mainly on the FC level (bleach) today. YOU ARE GETTING CLOSE! So let's hope the strong FC today is what your system needs to pass the OCLT so we can get you to the next phase of the conversion - cleaning-out your filter/sand.

But first let's stay focused and try to get you to pass the OCLT. Test your FC about every hour or so if possible. I'll watch for any updates as much as I can today and try to help you along if you have any questions. On a side note - do you have sand standing-by for when it's time to clean-out your filter? Make sure it's #20 silica sand. That way once you pass the OCLT, you'll be all ready. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and a couple more reminder from the Baqua page based on the stage you are at right now:
- Check the pressure in your filter frequently, and backwash (or clean cartridges) as necessary. You will flush out a ton of 'Baqua-goo'.
- Brushing and/or vacuuming is always helpful.

Just a note: Be careful what sand you buy. It needs to be pool sand. There were issues last year with a particular brand of lesser cost pool sand, that turned out to have fine sand mixed in. So as Pat said, make sure it says #20 silica sand.

No sand yet but we will go purchase it this afternoon. I just checked my FC it was 20 I might have added a bit more than I was suppose to. But I am watching it closely and thanks for all the help.
I wiil be glad when it is done so we can relax and enjoy the pool! I will keep you posted on my next few test before the OCLT !:paddle:

THIS THREAD didn't really have much good to say about it compared to regular sand. That's certainly a lot more money than what you would pay for a regular 50-lb (#20 silica) bag of pool sand at about $5-$10 per bag. If it were me, I'd stick to the regular stuff. You should be able to get the regular #20 silica pool sand just about anywhere locally (pool store, hardware/home improvement store, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Great job on the higher FC by the way. :goodjob:

I meant to ask earlier .... how is your filter responding to everything? Have you had to backwash very often lately? You would think with all that "goo" getting broken-down, the pressure might rise quite a bit. I was curious if that was still an issue - pressure rising. The previous drain might have reduced some of that stress on the filter though.

Not much backwash I did it about three days ago and again this morning . the gauge ,original flow, is 20GPM and I backwash ,rinse and filter is cut back on.
i watch the water coming out but it is a little cloudy with small specks of black. I can see this through the clear plastic piece on the top of the filter. It gets clear but I see those black specs through the whole backwash.
I just checked the FC before the big rain and is 16 . I hope it doesn't fall to far below before I can go check it again.

Those black specs are probably the residual baquacil that has been broken down but still trapped inside the filter. Even though the pool itself may appear clean/clear, the filter is a full of "yuck". :) The more you backwash now, the less your FC has to fight inside the filter. Eventually though (hopefully tonight), once you pass the OCLT, you will tear-open that filter and rejoice in your "yucky" accomplishment of conquering that baqua goo. :) For the remainder of today though, continue the FC of 15, backwash perhaps one more time this evening before getting ready to adjust FC for your OCLT. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.