New VS pump with booster. How many gpm so my robot works effectively?

Poolsnotmygame

Apr 25, 2019
Massapequa, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Yea I just bought a new VS pump. The guy that installed it said my poolside cleaner would work fine no matter what I set the VS at. But I feel that it isn’t working as efficiently as when I used my single speed pump with it. Anyone have an opinion?

Gear:
Pentair 1.5hp VS
P39 pressure side cleaner
Polaris booster

At the highest I run 2800gpm and my robot still seems lackluster.

Reactions: walkinpool
PNMG,

If you have a booster pump, you do not have a Robot cleaner... they run off of electricity.. You have a Pressure Side Cleaner. (Just so that we are all on the same page)

Only you can tell what speed your cleaner will need.. Each pool has different plumbing, so you can't just set it at the same speed for each pool or cleaner.

Just experiment and see what works best for you. That is the great thing about a VS pump.. you set it where you need it.

I would start at 2000 RPM and see if the cleaner works ok (With the booster on of course) If OK, then keep reducing the pump speed until you don't like the way it works.. Then add 200 RPM and call it good..

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you have a booster pump, the speed of the variable speed pump is basically irrelevant. The booster provides the flow and pressure for the cleaner.

The booster only requires about 12 to 16 gpm. Even on low speed, your variable speed pump should be higher than 16 gpm.

As long as the booster is getting water and is not getting airlocked, the main pump speed is fine.

Most likely, there's an issue with the cleaner. Check the inline screen for debris.

If you disconnect the cleaner from the wall fitting when the booster pump is off, does water come out of the wall fitting?

If you check the pool returns while the cleaner is working, is there still flow coming out of the returns?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.