New to TFP

Fitzpadw

Apr 16, 2019
Williamsburg, Ohio
Hello we recently bought a home and it had a 21'X 41' Oval above ground pool. The pool doesn't seem to have been taken care of the best. It was not covered for winter and upon looking at it appears to have a reddish gunk all over the bottom of it. The pool is at least 3 years old according to the neighbors. What are my first steps? Should I drain and try to refill, or test the water and see if I can win the battle using SLAM?

Welcome to the forum!
If it holds water, then all it will take is patience, work, and chlorine to get it back working.
First step would be to check out the equipment and see if it runs. Next would be to order a TF-100 and test the water. Start netting out all the solids you can. Then when you get your kit, test the water and post the results here.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Fitz,

Welcome aboard! Marty is right on the money, I've watched from afar as he helps people like you get sparkling pools in no time! Just follow his advice carefully and ask all questions. You'll be on autopilot before you know it!

Chris

@Fitzpadw, you should also let us know if you are on a well there. If so, make sure to add it to your signature. The reddish gunk may be nothing more than decaying organic matter. But in the slim chance it's related to iron in your area, it would be nice to know that as well. Welcome! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.