New to TFP need help with spa jet replacement

mgrantom

May 10, 2020
Pasadena, TX
I have an in ground gunite pool that is over 30 years old. Also has a spa. Spa has 4 jets which appear to be Waterway venturi tees. The gunite is approximately 18" thick in the spa. I unscrewed the jets because I was exploring why the spa blower motor was over heating after about 3 minutes. The problem is, I cannot get the jets to screw back in. I have tried rigging up a long dowel rod to spear the jet on the end and allow me to screw it in. I can feel the jet sit into the "seat" of the fitting but no matter what I do, I cannot get the threads to catch. I did manage to get 1 of the four jets back on but after over an hour of trying the other three I am out of answers. Can anyone give me a clue as to what I might be doing wrong? Is there a special tool which can be used. The hex head on the jet is 3/4" and I have tried using a long socket extension but no good. ThanksIMG_1157.JPEG

Stick your tongue out of the left side of your mouth and curl your toes. Works every time. ;)
Seriously, I can only think that it is not "seated" as you suspect, but catching on the shoulder or going in a bit crooked. Turn it slowly counter-clockwise and wiggle it a bit until you feel it drop in, then screw it in. I am not aware of any specialty tool for that type of jet, but they do make a plastic nozzle extension kit which uses a length of pvc pipe and has a guide ring to keep it straight and centered. Part # 212-3310.
Your nozzle will screw in if straight and centered. I find that a cold beer and juicy steak waiting as a reward for success is a great motivator, at least for me.

I fixed my problem. Since nobody here seemed to have a solution, I'm posting how I resolved it. I tried everything to get the spa jets re-installed including using a "bottle brush" to insert into the jets and try to clear out any debris that might have been in the way. I even used an endoscope to look into the jet to see if there was any reason why the threads were not engaging but there was nothing in the way. The original spa jets had an inset shoulder about 1/2" high that fit into the jet opening before the threads engaged. I decided to replace the jets with a different model that did NOT have the shoulder thinking this might help the threads catch sooner than the older jets. The new jets had a 3/4 NPT thread just like the originals unfortunately they still would not engage. I purchased a 3/4" NPT tap from Home Depot for about $12.00 Instead of using an extension (which does NOT work very well since it has to be about 18" long it is MUCH too heavy) I fashioned a tool out of a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe which is very light weight. I heated the end of the pvc with a heat gun until it was soft enough to press the 3/4" tap into the end of it. I also drilled a hole in the opposite end of the pvc so I could use a screwdriver as a T handle. I inserted the tap into the spa jet fitting and carefully engaged the tap so that it cleaned out the threads for the new jets. Using a similar pvc tool that I had formed over the hex side of the spa jets I was able to screw the new jets in. Now that I have replaced all 4 jets, I just need to blow out the air line and I will be back in business. I hope this info helps somebody else!

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPEG
    IMG_0371.JPEG
    352.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0372.JPEG
    IMG_0372.JPEG
    233.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0374.JPEG
    IMG_0374.JPEG
    475.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0376.JPEG
    IMG_0376.JPEG
    602.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0378.JPEG
    IMG_0378.JPEG
    189.5 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.