New to TFP - May have a lot of questions

JCTurner462

May 14, 2019
Ohio
My wife and I moved into a new home last fall just in time to close the pool.
Aren't we lucky previous owners left us what we need to finish the season.
We are both new pool owners and with the chaos of moving in really paid little attention to the 2 water tests we had done except to say thank you to the nice "professionals" selling us the perfect ingredient for our pool.

It's now spring, "most" of the boxes are put away, spring is here, and I have a little more time to think about what I am doing.
So 2 weeks ago I take the cover off, water looks pretty good, refill to seasonal level, hook up pump / filter, let it circulate a few days and vac the little debris that's present and I say to myself.... you've got this, no problem.
Then I went to the pool store........... to see how to go about getting things going right the first time out...............

Must have caught him when he was busy, although no-one else was in the store...
Well you need to bring in a water test, but we know you will need this opening closing kit so you may as well start with that. Come back in a week..... OK

Water test: Acceptable Value Analysis
Free Available Chlorine 1-4 ppm 4.64 High
Total Chlorine 1-4 ppm 4.64 High
Combined Chlorine <0.2 ppm 0 OK
ph Level 7.2 - 7.6 7.3 OK
Total Alkalinity (Input) 87
Total Alkalinity (Adjusted) 80 - 120 ppm 48 Low
CH 200 - 500 ppm 150 Low
Copper 0 ppm 0 OK
Iron 0 ppm 0 OK
Phosphates 0 - 125 ppm 0 OK
Saturation Index -0.3 - 0.3 -0.4 Unbalanced

Advice: CYA is High dump 7" water, refill and retest. (24' round above ground vinyl) 13500 gallon.
Can't really start balancing anything else yet, but I can sell you Phos free to get rid of high phosphate levels.
"You can use it before or after dumping, doesn't really matter."
Ok, so I'm a little grumpy because I'm dumping water you just had me start treating but you're the "expert".
Re-read the report at home while stewing a few minutes and noticed the test line for the phosphates he just sold me product to combat......yep, getting grumpier. I hate being stupid.
After a few hours of on-line data searching, had to agree dumping the 7" of water seems the only solution. (Don't get ahead of me, I know, I didn't do the math)
So I am just getting the pool topped off again and get my brother and his wife on the phone to vent to.
"Yep you figured out how pool stores work, that's why we don't go that route. Try TFP and get your own test kit."

Ok, but maybe it was a isolated incident, let me try again, but this time I used 2 different, un-affiliated stores both close by.

Store 1: (Same as last test)
Free Available Chlorine 1-4 ppm 4.35 High
Total Chlorine 1-4 ppm 4.35 High
Combined Chlorine <0.2 ppm 0 OK
ph Level 7.2 - 7.6 7.6 OK
Total Alkalinity (Input) 92
Total Alkalinity (Adjusted) 80 - 120 ppm 58 Low
CH 200 - 500 ppm 149 Low
Phosphates 0 - 125 ppm 0 OK
Saturation Index -0.3 - 0.3 -0.1 Balanced

Store 2:
Free Available Chlorine .5 - 1 ppm 2.95 High
Total Chlorine .5 - 1 ppm 4.37 High
Combined Chlorine <0.2 ppm 1.42 High
ph Level 7.2 - 7.8 7.9 High
Total Alkalinity (Input) 94
Total Alkalinity (Adjusted) 80 - 120 ppm 60 Low
CH 125 - 325 ppm 165 OK
Phosphates 0 - 500 ppm 4571 High
Saturation Index -0.3 - 0.3 -0.0 Balanced

Tests were taken at the same time and processed 10 minutes apart.
I read and compared the results, and the acceptable ranges.
I got mad, decided to listen to brotherly advice, read more on TFP.
Now dumping 50% water (boy am I happy), ordered TF-100 test kit, will refill in a little while and start all over again on my own... (with your help, thanks in advance).

It's a shame, I really want to work with local businesses and was even planning on picking up a nice smoker grill from them that although it was expensive for a grill they had the best deal around me.
I don't like being played, so I settled on a nice standard grill at 25% the cost elsewhere. Maybe another day....

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Your story is not very uncommon, although yours is rather short before finding us :)

None of the test results actually listed the CYA, are you sure you needed to replace water?

Take your brother and his bride out to dinner because he has done you a huge favor. You are going to love this site and the people here. Welcome to the gold mine of sound pool management complete with no advertisements and no BS.

How'd I miss the CYA???

Last test after dumping 7"

Store 1
acceptable = 20 - 50 ppm ...... result 102

Store 2
acceptable = 30 - 175 ppm ..........result 102

These ranges / results along with the phosphates are what pushed things over the cliff.

OK, just realize that CYA tends to the the test that pools stores get wrong the most. Although if they say it is high, it usually is. They just may be wrong about how high it REALLY is.

Thanks. I thought about that, but since the CYA level was the only thing the 2 stores agreed on, draining seemed like the best place to start.
Test kit should be here in a day or so. By then water should be back up and circulating and I can at least start a process I can duplicate.

My assumption in what I am reading thus far, after I get new and improved CYA levels is to start with Alkalinity, then Ph, then Chlorine and not try all at once.
Does that make sense?

You can generally make multiple adjustments within a few minutes of each other.
But, there is no set flow chart of what to fix in what order {We have tried and it always got too complicated with "what ifs"}

Usually TA is the last thing to worry about ... unless ... it is WAY too low, then it is top priority
Lots of wiggle room for pH, just needs to be in the 7s for the most part.
Really ensuring there is adequate FC in the water for your CYA is top of the list so as to prevent algae and have the water safe ... unless ... you already have a swamp or may need to replace water.

What kind of pool do you have? {Please fill out your signature}
CH could be something to consider as well.

Last edited:
Geday JC and welcome to the forum.
I believe you have a 13500g, 24’ above ground pool. Vinyl lined? How do you chlorinate?

With things starting to warm up the first thing I would be getting control of is your free chlorine (FC) and for that you need your cyanuric acid or stabiliser (CYA) level. There is a relationship between FC and CYA and this is recognised by TFP. TFP uses the FC/CYA Levels to set your FC target. Be careful with your choice of chlorine or chlorination method. The best is plain old bleach with no additives, ~12% if you can get it, or a salt water generator (SWG) if you have one. Dry powdered products, pucks, powders or granules, will add either CYA or CH, both of which you are better off adjusting individually. With a suspected high CYA level its easy to assume your pool has been chlorinated with pucks.

TFP’s recomended levels can be found Here

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support