New to testing and adding chemicals

Jan 12, 2018
Frisco TX
Hello,

I ran into some pool problems this winter (pool pump and booster pump needed to be resealed and impeller replaced). I also had very high CYA levels. I partially drained my pool and have made the repairs. I just tested my water. Here are my results:

15,000 gallons
Water temp 60 degrees
Cl 0
Br 0
pH 7.5
CH 250 ppm
TA 80
CYA 50 ppm

My target is:
Cl 7
Br 30 ppm
pH 7.5
CH 250 ppm
TA 80
CYA 50 ppm

If I'm using Pool Math correctly, it suggested adding 96 oz of 6% bleach. However, its not suggesting adding anything to increase Br. Since my pool pump hasn't been running, my water is a little cloudy and has a light greenish tint. I can see the bottom. Should I shock? Thanks for any and all advice.

Ok so I'm still trying to figure out the calculator. I now have Now and Target fields up. So in order to shock the pool at my CYA level it says 20 with a target range of 6-8. Does the 20 mean bringing FC up to 20? If so, then it would appear that by adding 640 oz of 6% bleach my FC would raise to 21.

dtpb,

Yes... With a CYA of 50 you will need to bring your FC up to al least 20 to reach the "Shock FC level"

Since you have zero FC in your pool now, it will take about 640 oz of 6% bleach to reach an FC of 21..

That said, I never use 6% bleach because in most places it is old stock and never really 6%. I like to use grocery store 8.25% bleach or Pool Store 12.5% liquid Chlorine..

And what you need to do is a SLAM, which is not a one time deal... You have to "maintain" the shock level until all three criteria are met.. See these instructions...SLAM Process

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m on Day 4 of the SLAMing process. My pool is no longer green but it is cloudy. The water seems to be improving. I have been brushing and running my P39. However, my filter pressure has not increased and is still reading a 10. Should I backwash? I will continue to SLAM but just wanted to make sure I’m doing everything correctly. Thanks

Hmmmm.... you gauge does go to zero when pump is off, right? Just wondering if it is a faulty gauge.

It wouldn't hurt to backwash but it might not really be needed yet. Just remember when you backwash, to rinse afterwards for a few seconds then return the dial to filter. And replace any water lost in the process.

Keep up the good fight!!

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I'm still SLAM'n. My water looks better but is still cloudy. Just when it clears up, I brush, then the water clouds up again. I will say that as I brush, the sides, the blooms are almost non-existent. Most of the blooms occur in the shallow part of the pool steps. I've had my FC above shock level since March 2. I have not backwashed as my filter psi is not increasing. I guess I will continue to SLAM. Please let me know if its time to try something else. I definitely see improvement. I just didn't think it would take this long. My pump has been running 24/7. Thanks

For quicker results with your SLAM, check your chlorine level and re-top it up to 20 more times a day. If you only do it once a day, the chlorine will kill some of the algae but maybe not all of it. By keeping the FC topped up at SLAM levels, you'll be getting maximum kill for your time and the pool will clear up quicker.

Dad, Do something for me. Go out and take a pic looking down at your steps. Take the same pic tomorrow. Share the pics here. It is my guess that your eyes cannot see the slight improvement but the camera will show it to you. You are at the worst/longest seeming part of the SLAM....the clearing of the water.

Kim:kim:

Ok. My FC has rarely fallen below shock level (20) for my CYA. I actually had it at 30 for a few days because I put a little too much Chlorine in to make sure it didn't fall below while the pool was unattended. It was a lot clearer prior. I started to wonder if I had overdone it. Are you suggesting bringing it up to 40?

Since Mar 2, I've used about 8 or 9 gallons of 10% liquid Chlorine. I guess that's not too bad all things considered. Last year when we first moved in, I put only God knows what at the suggestion of the pool store. I think it took about 2 weeks to clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do Kim.

I bet I have you on the right path. It is just a matter of letter your filter do it's thing. Have you been watching your filter pressure? I wonder if it needs to be bumped or such?

I like that you also took a pic of the cleaner. That will be a good reference point as well.

Kim:kim:

Thought I’d check in. I’ve been SLAMing my pool since Mar 2. The water is so much clearer. However, when I brush, there is still a greyish, white bloom on my steps and in some areas of the bottom of the pool.

The amount of material coming off my steps and bottom of the pool is a lot less than it was last week. I have maintained my pool at or above shock level at all times. My pump has been running constantly with the exception of when I stop it to clean the skimmer baskets and my pool cleaner.

I have to admit I’ve stopped brushing as frequently because, quite frankly, I’m tired and sore. My pool filter pressure has not increased during this process. I did clean my filter and added de before I began the SLAM process.

Is there anything I can do to remove the greyish sediment? My buddy cleared his pool in 2 days. His water looks pristine and it started off worst than mine. He claims, he only used 2 lbs of shock. He’s even newer to pool ownership than I and uses test strips/the pool store for advice. I’ve suggested that he join this forum but have to admit I’m jealous of his water clarity and quick turnaround.

Thanks

Easy come easy go. His pool will be green before yours, I'm sure of it. You are on the straight and narrow path.

Are you vacuuming the dust away and it's recurring? Your pump will not remove sediment on the bottom of the pool. Vacuuming is a necessary evil. Though not so evil for me since I bought a robot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.