New to SWG - need advice

Most important is the FC/CYA Levels failure to follow this will result in sanitation issues. Each pool system is unique so rather than fretting about any "recommended levels" research your system, your water source and your unique seasonal patterns to develop your own ideal levels.

pH should be neutral and in the 7s and ideally stable over time but this depends on your system, get outside the 7s and you will have issues. If controlling pH is an issue then dive deeper and research your source water, pool type and chemical usage to understand your options.

Ideal CH ppm levels are unique to your system, too little can damage some surfaces, too much can damage all of them. Do your research on your fiberglass shell and coating to determine if it is affected by aggressive or low CSI water.

Reactions: heidilynn4080
So it IS coming down, it's just taking time.

It certainly is, but I realize I my initial recommendation wasn't exactly a great idea. We don't want you to find yourself in a Chernobyl situation in 3 weeks with a meltdown green pool. I'm hearing you say your FC is falling at just over 0.5ppm per day with cool pool water while still running your SWG pretty aggressively. Once the pool warms up and more sunlight hits it, and you start to add swimmers, it's likely your daily FC loss with 40ppm CYA will rapidly put you in the danger zone and the SWG won't keep up.

Rather than just cutting the SWG runtime, I'd recommend you bringing CYA in the pool up to around 60ppm to begin with. CYA is tricky stuff, it basically never breaks down and stays in the water for a long time, so don't put too much in at once. Better to put in half the recommend amount, test after 24-48 hours, then put in a little more later.

So I'm unsure of which is the best to follow for my pool health/equipment longevity.

Follow the Trouble Free Pool recommendations. There's entirely too much real world evidence to ignore.

There's plenty of folks that can help you get the balance right with the spa and SWG percentages. Understand that hot water loses FC faster, and bather load calculations are somewhere around 0.5ppm FC per bather per half hour to compensate for sweat, oils, etcetera. I had been running my spa mode SWG settings much too low and fortunately found a better balance before anything bad happened. Fortunately my spa is essentially part of the pool during normal operations so it got plenty of healthy water to flush out during the day.

Actually, I haven't been running my SWG at all, it was just originally set at 77% and that might be why my FC was so high? However, I was thinking I would just let it run tomorrow after testing the FC in the morning, just so it doesn't drop too much more. I also had to drain the pool somewhat because we got a ton of rain, and I think that helped drop the CYA from 60 to 40, but maybe not. I didn't test the FC today because I was too busy but likely I didn't have too much loss because we didn't have much sun today. So fingers crossed its all ok tomorrow, and I'll start running the SWG and things will all level out.

Reactions: TexEdmond
FC was 8.5 ppm this morning. Have been running filter two days now at 50% for 8 hours. Will see what FC is in the morning. CYA was at 30 (I suspect droppage because of splashout) and all of the other numbers are in normal range, so I think we are on our way to figuring it out. I appreciate everyone's help, and will let you know how it goes the rest of the week/month! :)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.