New to Pool ownership - high CYA and algae

Before refilling, it would be a good time to take a brush to clean the corners on stairs, around any lights, around the return jets, etc. All those areas can hide algae so you have easy access to them now. Take a bucket with liquid chlorine and scrub those areas.

That's what I'd do. If you want to really be sure you have the correct Cl level for the SLAM, recheck the CYA level after you've refilled the pool and before SLAM.
I also see you have a SWCG (you lucky dog). I don't know if you would use that or leave it idle during the SLAM.

Hi Everyone,

Refill is now complete I just retested levels this morning for the first time and here is where we are:
FC: 2.2
CC: 0
pH: 7.3
TA: 85
CH: 170
CYA: 20

A couple things outside the recommended range, and the CYA is a little lower than ideal. Should I adjust these back to recommended range before doing a SLAM?

Or should I just go ahead with it?

Reactions: HermanTX
U can SLAM Process w/ 20ppm cya but the sun ☀️ may consume more chlorine than u like. Bumping it up to 30 ppm is ideal. The other #’s look great 👍🏻 You can deal with ch when slam is complete. Hopefully it won’t take long now.
U can Switch on csi tracking in PoolMath to get that more in line.

Reactions: milesmol
Hi Everyone,
I can't believe how helpful you all are on here!! I feel so much better about my pool now than I did even a week ago.

I'm now about 24 hours into my SLAM - I brought the CYA up to ~30, and keeping the FC around 13 (per PoolMath). The pool is still quite green, but seems a bit better than yesterday.

My Question: Is there any issue letting the dead algae settle to the bottom and vacuuming to waste (instead of through the sand filter) to clear up some of the green in the water a bit faster?

• Love
Reactions: TexEdmond
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give a quick update and have 1-2 more questions.

Finally after 2 weeks I think we made it! Updated status pic here :) (huge difference from my profile pic from when we first moved in)

IMG_0351.jpg
A few lessons learned.
- Patience
- Don't let the FC levels fall below SLAM level for 1-2 day while you're out of town (oops).
- Don't be stingy when adding Chlorine

Now my questions:
I took fresh readings this morning and here is where we are:
FC: 10 (still coming down)
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 100
CH: 130
CYA: 30

Now I need to normalize these, specifically the TA and CH are outside the target range.

What would be the correct, or best, order of adjusting these to the proper range?

Reactions: HermanTX and Oly
What would be the correct, or best, order of adjusting these to the proper range?
Slowly increase your CH to get near 300 ppm. Do it in stages over the next several days.

Keep monitoring the pH and TA every few days. No action until the pH reaches 8. Then lower that to 7.6.

Maintain the FC based on the FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: milesmol
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.