New to pool maintenance. water is cloudy

There’s no other source of bleach in your area? That seems a bit pricey.

We have no way of knowing how long the SLAM will take, so I’d get several jugs to start.

I really don’t know, since you are in Canada. That’s a little under $4 here... what size was the jug?

5 liter jug, so that’s actually not too bad. I can’t see the strength on the bottle, do you know it?

can you create aeration to bring it up to 7.2?
How will I do this one? Sorry, still new to pool terms :smile:

Aeration is any sort of "splashing effect" that breaks or churns up the water surface, I try'll to find some links for you (from Pool School) (you can also search the forums for aeration )

This is the only liquid chlorine I can find in my area. Cost around 5 dollars. Would this work?

View attachment 78218
I believe my tester right now don't have a CYA test
Yes it's 10.8% Sodium Hypochlorite, perfect, just be sure to make sure you change the PoolMath bleach/liquid chlorine WEIGHT to 10.8, when figuring out your dose.
ALWAYS pure it slowly in front of a RUNNING return (water coming INTO the pool), do not pour it in the skimmer or in anyway that would make it flow "directly" into your filter/pump.

- - - Updated - - -

kellyfair said:
Aeration can be as simple as getting in and splashing around, or better yet, getting kids to do. Aeration raises PH sloooowly.
I can’t tell, but as long as it is 100% sodium hypochlorite, no additives, it is fine.

Just to clear any confusion =))

There is no such thing as 100% sodium hypochlorite (at least not for retail purposes)

It will be "household bleach" ranging from 3%-8.25% up to "pool liquid chlorine/shock" 10-15%

If looking at household bleach, then they are looking for PURE bleach (as you said no additives (scents, etc), not splashless, not easy pour, etc)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there another way to increase my PH a bit? Or should i prepare now with the SLAM process?

As long as the pH is in the 7's (preferably no higher than 7.2) it is fine.

How are you going to SLAM without a FAS-DPD test?

Take care.

Good thing i have not bought expensive chemicals yet. The previous owner told me to keep on shocking it and after a week the water will clear up. I always want to make sure that I am knowledgeable as well and also want to save some money in maintaining the pool.

This is where a lot of people (including my-pre2015-self) run into trouble. "Shock" means something completely different for a non-TFPer (assuming this is what the previous owner was) vs. someone giving advice from here. For them Shock is verb. A process (i.e. You need to "shock" your pool.). To someone on this forum, "Shock" is strictly a noun (i.e. Use liquid "shock" to increase your free chlorine to SLaM levels.).

The second is that they don't necessarily make themselves knowledgeable. Happy to see you here. In four seasons I have never been led astray by either this forum or the articles in other areas of the domain.

There is no such thing as 100% sodium hypochlorite (at least not for retail purposes)

If wlooking at household bleach, then they are looking for PURE bleach (as you said no additives (scents, etc), not splashless, not easy pour, etc)

Yes, I was trying to say “all bleach, nothing else added” but you said it better.

I talked to Lowry and it seems they only have the K-2006 kit. Do I need to order other refills if I get this one?

Yes. You need more FAS-DPD and CYA reagents.

Again, you are really close to the US border. It will be far cheaper to ship a kit to a mail drop.

Take care.

Could I ask the steps again on how to vacuum? Do I have to put the filter on backwash before I attached the vacuum hose within the skimmer? I saw the filter have the gauge attached to it. Is that a pressure gauge? Do I have to monitor that gauge?

Assuming you have all the equipment to manually vacuum (vacuum head, telescoping pole, appropriate vacuum hose, and skimmer plate), attach the head to the pole, and hose to the head. Put the head in the water and fill the hose with water (with either a return jet, or dunking the hose continuously from the vauum head to the skimmer end. Place skimmer plate over the skimmer basket and attach the hose.

No. Do not have the filter on backwash. It should be on Filter (to send debris to the filter) or Waste (to send debris completely out of the system). If you vac to waste make sure your water level is high enough to compensate for the lost water and have a hose simultaneously refilling the pool. YOU WILL LOSE WATER QUICKLY IF YOU VAC TO WASTE!! The gauge is indeed a pressure gauge the high the pressure, the lower the suction. Monitor it when you observe the vacuum not picking up as much. When the gauge reads a higher PSI, backwash and rinse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.