New to inground pools

Is the water moving and mixing? If so then clear that bad boy up then work on the pipes!

Thanks Kim. Yeah I was out at dusk checking everything. Water is moving, inlets are still pushing a good amount of water. Water continues to clear, I can see the bottom about 2/3 of the way now. Still can't in the deep end yet.

I had just ordered a backup filter cartridge, so I contacted the company to try to cancel the order stating that I was considering a new pump and filter which would mean this cartridge would be superfluous. We'll see what they say, they haven't shipped it yet so I am hoping they will be able to.

I can probably redo most of plumbing at the pad this year at some point, and not replace everything. I'll see how things go.

Reactions: kimkats
Hey everyone, one week in, water is clearing! Did tests and everything looks great. Except for my calcium hardness. It's at 80. I thought for a FG pool I didn't have to worry about that, correct? Or should I add something to raise it?

So Kim, I got a new thermometer today. My old one stopped working last year. Pool water was at 76 degrees. I decided to treat with calcium chloride, half of what it was calling for. I was at 70, out was calling for 36 lb, I treated with 18 lbs, and sure enough my CH now reads 170. Half way to the target of 270. I love when math works out!

I'm actually happy with it at 170. I've seen lots of sources saying it should be above 150. If I had plaster to worry about I might would go to 250+.

Also, I temporarily fixed my air leak. I had originally tried to with some rubber leak stop wrap. That didn't work. So I picked up some 5" wide flex seal tape. I wrapped that around the PVC hose where I had the leak and that fixed it. No more air blowing in the returns. So I'll either be redoing my pad plumbing this summer or next spring!

I knew I would have to eventually.

SWEET! Yeah math working like it should IS awesome! I STILL get tickled when my pH moves to my goal after adding m.a.! It is the little things in life!

So that flex seal tape worked.......as in the as seen on TV kind?

Kim:kim:

SWEET! Yeah math working like it should IS awesome! I STILL get tickled when my pH moves to my goal after adding m.a.! It is the little things in life!

So that flex seal tape worked.......as in the as seen on TV kind?

Kim:kim:

Yes! But the Mighty Fix-it a seen on TV stuff failed miserably! As I said, redoing my pad is still in my future. I may build a shelter over it to help keep the sun off of it. That PVC hose stuff that comes in from the pool skimmer, main drain, and out to the two returns seems to be susceptible to UV rays. Under the pad where there is no sunlight it is in perfect condition.

A couple of observations:

First, while Pool School says that vinyl liner and FG pools have little to concern over low CH, I would like to point out that many IG pools, vinyl or FG, are surrounded by concrete. Splash out can cause pitting and other concrete problems if the CH is too low. Is this something that should be added to the CH page in Pool School?

Second, is it just me or are the spiders off the hook this year? Everyday I have probably a dozen in my skimmer. I know spiders kill other bugs, but a dozen a day are a bit much. I've been killing lots of them, and there are plenty still around.

Lastly, when my pool was still cloudy, I noticed a couple of backswimmers and/or boatman in my pool. However, once the SLAM was complete, and all algae was dead. They were gone. This just proves that removing boatman food source (algae) makes them leave. And without boatman, backswimmers won't stick around either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water is crystal clear! I mean CRYSTAL. Switched pump to turn on every night at 11:30am and shutting off about 6am. Feels good to be at this point so early this year after last years struggles. Again, fully credit TFP for my trouble free pool!

Of course, temps are falling into the 60s this weekend here. That's our highs. LOL But that's ok, just means less chlorine demand! :)

• Love
Water is crystal clear! I mean CRYSTAL. Switched pump to turn on every night at 11:30am and shutting off about 6am. Feels good to be at this point so early this year after last years struggles. Again, fully credit TFP for my trouble free pool!

Of course, temps are falling into the 60s this weekend here. That's our highs. LOL But that's ok, just means less chlorine demand! :)
That's great news!

Reactions: LoneWolfArcher
So it appears the Cottonwoods have run their course. I actually cleaned out the skimmer sock yesterday (just replaced it has it was a little over a week old) and no green seeds! The past few days it was full of the green seeds from inside of the pods. I am assuming the chlorine had eaten away the outer husk.

It will be nice not to have the skim the pool twice a day and still capture so many cottowood seeds in the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.