New to inground pools

LoneWolfArcher

May 29, 2019
Michigan
I've input to a couple of people's threads. Especially the ones that are resistant to the advice given. Best advice ever: get a real test kit and switch to liquid chlorine!

Reactions: gonfishin

LoneWolfArcher

May 29, 2019
Michigan
QUick update. Pool continues to be clear. I test every day (though some days I do OTO to save my reagents for FAS-DPD). The chlorine seems to have stabilized quite well. THough it has been rather cool and cloudy here. We have another cool day today but sunny. So I will FAS-DPD this evening then add any neederd chlorine.

Extended forecast has us in the low 70s for a while. Wife and D will not swim unless the water is 75+ and temp is near 80. So it might be awhile before any but me gets in it. But I feel so much more in control than I did last year. Had no idea about CYA except that by the end of the year the Guess Strips I was using showed that it was very high (nearly 200). So happy to have found this forum!

pH even with some rain, is holding at 7.2. I like my pH, to be in the lower end, especially with the CYA so high. Makes me feel better, since it is less conducive to any type of growth.

Now I just need some hot weather for some pooltime fun! (Got down to 48 here last night...)

LoneWolfArcher

May 29, 2019
Michigan
Lots of rain today, pool up about 2 inches, definitely an inch and a half too high. So I'll be draining more water off tomorrow.

The pool is Crystal clear. Absolutely beautiful water. Needs a good vacuuming though. Weather has been horrible here. 65 for a high today.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
We are not even getting our night lows equal to your days highs o_O Here is hoping your area warms up so you can enjoy that clear pool!

Kim:kim:

LoneWolfArcher

May 29, 2019
Michigan
Thanks Kim. Daughter has a birthday party a week from Saturday. She asked me last night if the pool was going to be warm enough. I told her I have no idea at this point!

Crazy cool wet weather We have a summer like this every 10-15 years. We were actually due for one.

LoneWolfArcher

May 29, 2019
Michigan
Hey everyone, as we head towards closing season here in the north, just wanted to give a shoutout again to the forum! Amazing how much easier my pool care was this summer than last. Last year at this time I was showing definite signs of copper cyaunrite, as I was getting purple deposit on ladders, skimmers, etc. Not to mention the copper staining of my walls, and the constant fight against algae.

This year, none of that! A bottle of 12.5% bleach every day or two (or three) depending on swimmer load, temperature, sunlight, etc. As I was adding the bleach this morning I was thinking about how much I love my pool. At the end of last season I was loathing it!

So thank you TFP! YOU ALL RULE!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!