Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hi,
I am new to this site and forum. My new pool and spa was completed August of 2022. I received a very dumbed down version of how to manage your new pool by the pool builders, basically a drawing of how to turn the valves for different functions. There were no instructions regarding the cleaning of the filter or the Chlorinator. I hired a pool guy to come and adjust the chemicals and scrubb the tiles of the pool weekly.
I have taught myself how to clean the filter and the chlorinator and now am trying to learn about the balancing of the chemicals in my pool. This is making the pool guy really nervous as I already know what the chlorine level and pH is before he arrives. What I have been finding is that my Chlorine level is never where it should be, he takes a week off without notifying me in advance and I am still expected to pay for his services. I am planning on kicking him to the curb once I am confident in my own abilities. So.....Thanks for the add.

Christine

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Taking charge of your pool is the best thing you can do. To start, please read and bookmark our Pool Care Basics page. In there you'll most of the major articles we reference for new members. If you have any questions about water testing or the equipment let us know.

Reactions: synapsid
You've already got a K2005, so there's no reason to buy an all new test kit, unless you just want to. Buy a Taylor K-1515A (FAS-DPD Chlorine test) and a K-1766 (Salt test) and boom, you've got a K-2006 + salt. I would highly suggest adding a SpeedStir/SmartStir to your repertoire, however.

We'll have you firing the pool guy in no time.

Hi,
I am new to this site and forum. My new pool and spa was completed August of 2022. I received a very dumbed down version of how to manage your new pool by the pool builders, basically a drawing of how to turn the valves for different functions. There were no instructions regarding the cleaning of the filter or the Chlorinator. I hired a pool guy to come and adjust the chemicals and scrubb the tiles of the pool weekly.
I have taught myself how to clean the filter and the chlorinator and now am trying to learn about the balancing of the chemicals in my pool. This is making the pool guy really nervous as I already know what the chlorine level and pH is before he arrives. What I have been finding is that my Chlorine level is never where it should be, he takes a week off without notifying me in advance and I am still expected to pay for his services. I am planning on kicking him to the curb once I am confident in my own abilities. So.....Thanks for the add.

Christine
I kicked my pool company builder out the week after water was added to the pool and cut them off 10 minutes into their BS pool school. I didn't know it when I first got here, but did within a couple of weeks that this site was all I needed, honestly. All that service is doing is costing you money and bad vibes and water.

Reactions: dfwnoob
You've already got a K2005, so there's no reason to buy an all new test kit, unless you just want to. Buy a Taylor K-1515A (FAS-DPD Chlorine test) and a K-1766 (Salt test) and boom, you've got a K-2006 + salt. I would highly suggest adding a SpeedStir/SmartStir to your repertoire, however.

We'll have you firing the pool guy in no time.
I can't wait to get rid of this guy! I haven't had the proper chlorine levels in over 3 weeks and I see small bits of algae in the corners of my pool..yet pool guy gets upset if I turn up the chlorinator. His answer and solution to the lack of chlorine is to add phosphate reducer and to charge me more.