Mrswilli73

Jun 16, 2022
St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi! Newbie here! Late last summer my hubby installed a beautiful deck over/around our 9 ft diameter, 2 ft deep poly stock tank pool. (I'll post pics soon.)
We have an Intex sand filter/SWG combo (probably overkill, I know). Anyway, for the approximate month we had it last summer, I don't remember having all the chemical balancing issues, but before we opened it this year, we cut down a ton of trees that shaded the area, so the pool gets a ton of sun now.
I've read through the basics on this site, and realize one big issue is my testing...I've been using strips for most. I have a kit, too, but only tests chlorine, bromine, and Ph. I am researching a new test kit.
Anyway, total hardness on test strip says 250, chlorine is always too low except in the evening after I have run the chlorinator for a little while (I usually only do 1 hr cycles...is this good?)
The Ph is registering between 7.8 and 8.4 on both strips and test kit everyday, even though Ive used quite a bit of Ph down. CYA (stabilzer on strip) says 50. I used some Clorox Scale, Metal & Stain Control (what the heck is the main ingredient in this?) when we first opened it, and it's not cloudy anymore, but did I mess up something with this product? I've also shocked with the clorox xtra blue 6 in 1. I know these aren't recommended products here, just frustrated with the chemistry, how long to run the pump and chlorinator everyday, and how to keep ot all balanced!

Hello and welcome! You have two options for a pool of that size - you can treat it like a seasonal pool that you drain/refill if you have trouble, or like a permanent pool that isn't meant to be drained.

If you want to do the former, see this link for pool care:

If you'd rather treat it like a permament pool, you'll need a better test kit. For test kits - you're going to want either the Taylor K-2006c (available from Amazon or the like) or the TF-100 from TFTestKits.net. I got the Taylor from Amazon but in hindsight I would have gotten the TF-100. They all have pretty much the same tests and chemicals, just different amounts.

Be careful with the Clorox Xtra Blue anything. It adds copper to the pool, which can cause tinted water or staining on surfaces, or turn blonde hair green. Tablets will add CYA to the pool, and if you do have about 50, you don't want much more. I'd strongly recommend changing your chlorination to adding some liquid chlorine daily. I understand it's more effort than just letting some tablets dissolve but it won't add anything to the pool you don't want in there, and you'll know you have the right amount of chlorine levels.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello and welcome! You have two options for a pool of that size - you can treat it like a seasonal pool that you drain/refill if you have trouble, or like a permanent pool that isn't meant to be drained.

If you want to do the former, see this link for pool care:

If you'd rather treat it like a permament pool, you'll need a better test kit. For test kits - you're going to want either the Taylor K-2006c (available from Amazon or the like) or the TF-100 from TFTestKits.net. I got the Taylor from Amazon but in hindsight I would have gotten the TF-100. They all have pretty much the same tests and chemicals, just different amounts.

Be careful with the Clorox Xtra Blue anything. It adds copper to the pool, which can cause tinted water or staining on surfaces, or turn blonde hair green. Tablets will add CYA to the pool, and if you do have about 50, you don't want much more. I'd strongly recommend changing your chlorination to adding some liquid chlorine daily. I understand it's more effort than just letting some tablets dissolve but it won't add anything to the pool you don't want in there, and you'll know you have the right amount of chlorine levels.

Welcome to the forum! :)
Thank you! The article was helpful, too.
We do drain it every winter, but would prefer not to drain it during the summer unless absolutely necessary, so I guess I'm investing in a better test kit to get more acurate readings.

So adding the liquid chlorine everyday and running the SWG one or two hours a day with the pump will be ok? I am assuming it depends on how sunny it is.

Hey Mrs Willie and Welcome !!!

I would have loved your setup but we could only afford so much lumber so we built a 20X40 vinyl liner pool instead.

Thank you! The article was helpful, too.
We do drain it every winter, but would prefer not to drain it during the summer unless absolutely necessary, so I guess I'm investing in a better test kit to get more acurate readings.

So adding the liquid chlorine everyday and running the SWG one or two hours a day with the pump will be ok? I am assuming it depends on how sunny it is.
Oh, I didn’t realize you had a SWG. Missed that. >.> Then you just need to dial it in and won’t need to add daily. :)

Hey Mrs Willie and Welcome !!!

I would have loved your setup but we could only afford so much lumber so we built a 20X40 vinyl liner pool instead.
We could have 100% installed a much bigger pool for the $$ we spent on lumber! I wanted some water and hubby wanted a deck, so we compromised! Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.