New SoCal IG shotcrete pool build - equipment set, Final Inspection Passed, Pebble Done! Salt added. Back deck in process

Yes, we absolutely got that in writing although I still have no faith he will be here monday, it allowed us some forward movement while we wait out the clock on the attorney letter.

Reactions: kimkats
Sorry for the highjack. I'm sorry to read this thread and see the PB just smoke bombed on you. Off topic-What kind or grasses are these Rich? Zebra or porcupine?

Attachments

• grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 28
Yes, overall we have been pleased with the quality of the work and up through the third draw he was johnny on the spot. I could be off-base but get the impression the pb is not the best at the accounting/business side of the industry and runs his business like a pyramid scheme. So long as new jobs are coming in that he can collect the first three 30% draws on early in the game , he has money to finish the previous jobs. When incoming work slows down he no longer has the funds to procure equipment on the stagnant jobs where all he has remaining is 10%. In our case the remaining 10% wouldn't even cover the wholesale cost of the equipment, let alone the Pebble job.

Reactions: darkrider
I understand your frustration. We tried to get a pool installed at our old house. We had a small yard that was barely large enough for a 12x20 pool. We met with a PB and agreed to put in a fiberglass pool. Due to the tight space requirements I had concerns about the set backs and asked the sales guy if that could be an issue. The sales guy assured us the set backs were only 5ft in our county and we had plenty of room, so we gave them a rather large deposit check. During the permitting process we discovered the set back for the back of our property was actually 15ft and of course the county denied us a permit. So at this point the PB has our deposit money and starts to blow us off, and refuses to say if they will give us our money back or not. After a few weeks of this my wife decides that if they don’t want to talk to us she will simply blow up all their social media pages. She was relentless! After a few days of her unrelenting Facebook rants, they agreed to give us our deposit money back if she deleted all her posts. At the end of the day she got her pool though, as a month later we bought another house that had a pool…. Wifey always gets what she wants in the end one way or another….

Yes, overall we have been pleased with the quality of the work and up through the third draw he was johnny on the spot. I could be off-base but get the impression the pb is not the best at the accounting/business side of the industry and runs his business like a pyramid scheme. So long as new jobs are coming in that he can collect the first three 30% draws on early in the game , he has money to finish the previous jobs. When incoming work slows down he no longer has the funds to procure equipment on the stagnant jobs where all he has remaining is 10%. In our case the remaining 10% wouldn't even cover the wholesale cost of the equipment, let alone the Pebble job.
A sad but true reality in so many construction related businesses, even successful ones! It takes a lot of capital reserves to float both supplies and subcontractor labor. Far too many poorly manage this process, and it leaves their clients, subcontractors, and ultimately their reputation exposed! You can tell a heck of a lot about a business just by their proposed payment schedule.

And the whiplash continues lol. Pb text me this morning that equipment would be installed tomorrow. 30 minutes later He text again to say they were headed to the supplier to pick up equipment and would be there today. They showed up about noon while, I wasn't home so I had the wife go snap photos of the boxes. Positives, they had the correct intellicenter system (which was impossible to find but I found one and had ordered it yesterday after telling him we were continuing without him, anyone need one lol as it's shipped)
Negative, they brought the non HD heater in natural gas instead of the HD in propane. For the filter they brought the clean and clear plus 420 instead of the 520.
At this point the equipment is there and moving forward so we are going to take what they brought. Supposedly they will bring the propane conversion tomorrow. We are having the automatic heater bypass installed so theoretically we should get decent life even without the HD. Does that sound reasonable?
As for the install, the first thing I notice is that they are going into the pumps almost immediately with an elbow which the pump manual, that I've had a ton of time to read, says not to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't notice but they have the solar lines cut to the ground and running across the front, don't understand that logic at all but I'll have to talk to them tomorrow and see what they are thinking.20220511_191138.jpg20220511_191232.jpg

Also looking at this I can't figure out what the tee and 2" pvc that they added to the spa return is?

A new issue came up today in the the microbrites require a 1.5 fip fitting on the pool Wall but the pipes stubbed are 2" 🤦‍♂️

I'm sure they make a reducer bushsing less the shoulder which is basically a 2" outer thread with an internal 1.5" and if not they buy the reducer in pvc and cut the flange off which then that's what's left and glue it in. It should work and not look any different when done.

So the tee in the spa return is getting connected to the pool return with a check valve. Everything I have read said this is not needed since we are using intellicenter which has a spillover mode (as I understand, pool suction, spa return) when I mentioned this they looked at me like I was crazy lol.
Am I correct that with this crossover the spa spillway will be running all of the time that the circ pump is running which will impact aeration and pH? If so, I beleive I also saw a similar situation where the recommendation was to pull the check valve guts after they are done and replace with 2 way shutoff guts and leave it closed. Can my plumbing nerds confirm this is accurate?
Last for now, I had a "confrontational" call with the pb this am regarding the heater and solar bypass (which I purchased the valves and actuators for). During this call I brought up the elbows straight into the pump and was told "that's how everyone does it" I then sent him the pages from the pentair manual saying don't and got no response. I see a relatively easy path to correct the waterfall pump but not the circ pump.

Looks like the tee for the intellicenter temp sensor got left out. I'd prefer not to have them drill the pipe with the saddle valve and the manual says it needs to go between the pump and the filter. Would just after the filter, before the solar bypass make much difference?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.