Platdaddy

May 19, 2023
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Here she is : Thursday Pools Aspen 16’x35 (fiberglass)

IMG_0545.jpeg
Water looks clear to me. Below are the stats on chemistry. I know Cya is a bit high, learned after the fact :oops: what chems I should be using. Plan to splash out some water to get it down with some cannonballs with friends. Adding some Muriatic Acid in a few to get TA and ph down then turn on the falls and bubbler to get PH back up.
FC 6.5
PH 7.6
TA 116
CH 362
CYA 105
Temp 78F
Salt 3400ppm
CSI -.04

Good to swim right? Hate to give friends rashes or burns 😀. Also, thanks for all the great material and information. Didn’t think I could do this on my own.

Plat

You FC is much too low (below minimum) for your CYA.
I suggest you get several gallons of liquid chlorine before you invite your friends over and then next week work to correct your very high CYA.
How are you testing to get a CYA of 105ppm? Its possible that your CYA ppm is higher than you think.
Your TA is not the main concern now. Keep the pH in the 7s and the TA will come down over time.

Last edited:
Another possibility is that Plat is testing his water at a Pool Store or using Test Strips and the CYA ppm result in not close to accurate.
If this is the case then we are flying blind and the answer is using a proper test kit to test the water at home before doing anything.
Test Kits Compared

Another possibility is that Plat is testing his water at a Pool Store or using Test Strips and the CYA ppm result in not close to accurate.
If this is the case then we are flying blind and the answer is using a proper test kit to test the water at home before doing anything.
Test Kits Compared
Hi Oly, using Taylor 2006 test kit

Hi Oly, using Taylor 2006 test kit
Plat, try your CYA test again using half pool water and half tap water and double the result.

CYA > 90 dilution Test​

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:

1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark (15 ml line) with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark (30 ml line) with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark (15 ml line).
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.

Reactions: Platdaddy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.