New salt water pool owner here need some guidance

not sure...should I Just run it 9 hours straight ? is it better at day or night ?

Day or night makes no difference.

I would run for 9 hours during the day so the SWG is replacing the FC that the sun is burn off. You will keep a more steady FC level.

ok so let me get back up to 100% ... so what is my ideal FC if my cya is 80-100 I wanna be at ? cause according the chart on here its a minimum of 5 and max of 7 ? based on the SWG part of the chart

No, it is not a max of 7. 7 is the target and if you are having a big party you want a few ppm more then target.

Max safe FC would be 39.

I feel like I accidentally SLAMMED my pool.

SLAMMING your pool would require a FC of 39.

You just need to get your SWG dialed in to maintain FC of 8-10.

May be lucky to hit 90 today.

And as a bonus tornados are very rare.
You don't know what you're missing.

You should stream one of our local television stations sometime during a tornado watch. These guys go absolutely ape s*** crazy. They'll interrupt normal broadcasting and cover the storms sometimes for 6 hours at a stretch or more. It's all a ratings game I'm sure, trying to see who can out hype the other guy.

You can find some of the old broadcasts on YouTube if you're interested. Just search for live Oklahoma tornado coverage.

That said, they really do save lives. Back when I was a kid you were lucky to get an hour notice of a tornado. Now they are telling us two and three days in advance when something is coming. Sometimes local schools even close for the day.

ok will run 9 hours during the day . and keep an eye on everything. thanks for all the info guys

ok todays results were 9.5 FC, no CC (color stayed clear) , CyA was between 90-100
Great. Now check your FC daily for a few days and if your FC is creeping up then turn down the SWG one click. Find a SWG setting where your FC hardly moves day to day.

Reactions: Staceyleah22
it rained all day by me today. tested the water though and its a FC of 9.5 still and no CC

so I tested Monday at 6pm and I just tested today (weds) at 6pm and FC went from a 9.5 to a 10. that's running 9 hours a day at either 60 or 80 % I forget and I gotta go back out and look at what its set at. but it seems to be maintaining now. worst case would go down 1 click after the party if it starts creeping up to 11-12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you're getting lined out. Can you pls add the brand and model of your swg to the signature? it would also be helpful to have this information on your other equipment.

At 80% and 9 hr run time you're only adding 2.5 ppm of FC. If you're holding level at that point you're doing pretty good for this time of year.

ok so today is 10.5 at 80 %

I did one more cya test and its at the same spot right around 90-100

so looks like my CYA will not be burning off lol

I am gaining .25 to .5 FC per day at 80%. Should I bump it to 100% the day of the party ? then back down to 80 the following day ?

ok so today is 10.5 at 80 %

I did one more cya test and its at the same spot right around 90-100

so looks like my CYA will not be burning off lol

I am gaining .25 to .5 FC per day at 80%. Should I bump it to 100% the day of the party ? then back down to 80 the following day ?
It wouldn't hurt to raise it but I'd caution against "over-managing" your swg. If you want to run at a higher FC level to give yourself more buffer for one-time events like the party that would not be a problem at your CYA level. As mentioned above you have a lot of room to go up since your CYA is so high. One thing I'd check just to be sure is to run the dilution test for CYA. The max reading is 100 so 140 still looks like 100 on the test. This could mean your FC is really too low. Also remember the test is a log function. So you always round up.

Chris

It wouldn't hurt to raise it but I'd caution against "over-managing" your swg. If you want to run at a higher FC level to give yourself more buffer for one-time events like the party that would not be a problem at your CYA level. As mentioned above you have a lot of room to go up since your CYA is so high. One thing I'd check just to be sure is to run the dilution test for CYA. The max reading is 100 so 140 still looks like 100 on the test. This could mean your FC is really too low. Also remember the test is a log function. So you always round up.

Chris
agreed. I am leaving it as is today, supposed to have some storms I will re test tomorrow after storms and see where I am at and go from there. might run it at 100% day of the party if it tests at 10-10.5 but if its over that I may just leave it be

I am going to start testing further apart now, then work my way to weekly once I have it under control

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.