indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Would hot tub components be affected by using a drop in Chlorinator to convert to salt water? I have heard that the heater could corrode faster.

R,

I bought a used tub that was 12 to 15 years old when I bought it.. I added the Saltron mini and after about 2 years the heater started leaking... The heater appeared to be the original heater when the tub was manufactured. So.. did the saltwater cause the leak, or was it just its time to go??? I have no idea, but I installed a new heater and it has been running fine for a couple of years now..

I love the mini and would buy another one tomorrow...

Thanks,

Jim R.

R,

I bought a used tub that was 12 to 15 years old when I bought it.. I added the Saltron mini and after about 2 years the heater started leaking... The heater appeared to be the original heater when the tub was manufactured. So.. did the saltwater cause the leak, or was it just its time to go??? I have no idea, but I installed a new heater and it has been running fine for a couple of years now..

I love the mini and would buy another one tomorrow...

Thanks,

Jim R.
I bought a refurbished StrongSpa which I think is about 5 - 6 yrs old. My pool is saltwater, and I barely have to do anything to it, so I am just wondering how much more work this hot tub is going to require. Seems my PH and TA are always running a bit high.

Thanks for your input.

I've got a Saltron in my tub. I will never not have a saltwater hot tub in the future. Even if it does shorten the heater life (which I doubt), who cares? It's totally worth it if the life is a few years shorter for the convenience.

RDspaguy is not a fan because I have seen (and heard about) the catastrophic results of salt system malfunctions and improper maintenance. I am a repairman, so I never see the stuff that's working. I don't feel that spa maintenace is difficult enough with any system to warrant the risk of what COULD happen with a salt system. But that's just my opinion, there are many people out there who love them and never have a problem.

RDspaguy is not a fan because I have seen (and heard about) the catastrophic results of salt system malfunctions and improper maintenance
This right here gets me. Look at the bad rap that salt pools get from improper maintenance. Cough, cough….. Texas…. Cough. At least a chunk of the spa issues have to be similar. Some wahoo ‘nuked’ the hot tub, with like 5 bags of shock, when the pool store couldn’t help.

Or also just like pools, poor quality materials didn’t stand a chance either way, no matter what markup the customer paid.

But the salt always takes the blame. I do believe it causes more of an issue in hot tubs for the quality issues but I’m still not sold that I’d care if given the chance.

This right here gets me. Look at the bad rap that salt pools get from improper maintenance. Cough, cough….. Texas…. Cough. At least a chunk of the spa issues have to be similar. Some wahoo ‘nuked’ the hot tub, with like 5 bags of shock, when the pool store couldn’t help.

Or also just like pools, poor quality materials didn’t stand a chance either way, no matter what markup the customer paid.

But the salt always takes the blame. I do believe it causes more of an issue in hot tubs for the quality issues but I’m still not sold that I’d care if given the chance.
I am a fan of Salt Water pools, so I was hoping to move the hot tub to a SWG also. I contacted Strong Spas and was told that if they sold a new hot tub and someone put a SWG in it that it voided the warranty. I have no idea if it really is a bad idea, or not, but when the mfg told me that, I am going to try to get everything balanced the old fashioned way. Still a fan of salt water, and still may add one, just gonna give it a try it like this for awhile. Thanks.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.