New rectangular IG in Mesa, AZ

It is TOMORROW!!! Are they there yet??? LOL

I am hoping you can be there for this big event. Every once in a while there might be a question or concern or maybe an idea from their experience. It is best YOU the pool owner addresses these.

Kim:kim:

Lunchtime check found the Shotcrete crew arriving to begin to ensure all the steel is to their liking, tied properly and whatever other prep they need to do. I'm assuming that they will wrap that up this afternoon and most likely come back in the morning to shoot mud, but I'll still stop by after work to check :)
It's probably time for me to invest in a new garden hose and sprayer, and perhaps a sprinkler and timer if the pool builder doesn't drop one off (technically watering the shell is their responsibility since I don't own the home yet.) I am not expected to be involved, but this won't stop me from visiting several times a day and watching over it like a hawk to ensure that the shell has a fighting chance at a good cure in spite of the AZ heat.

Reactions: kimkats and jonpcar
...technically watering the shell is their responsibility since I don't own the home yet....
That may be, but in the end it's your pool. If you can, stop by and water the shell regularly - or at least check daily that it's being done to your satisfaction. "Bonding" with the pool is relaxing..... :whoot:especially since it's going to get a little warm this week - 110°+ by Saturday.

@kimkats - is it almost time for his own personal links?

Reactions: cwstnsko
I’ll review the links as a refresher, but this is not my 1st run at TFP ?. I kept my own pool in great shape by following Pool Solutions and TFP until I moved away from it in 2010. I also helped a few neighbors rescue there pools as well. I don’t expect much in the way of a kit from the builder, but it looks like a TF100 refill will bring my old PS kit back from hibernation. I picked up an hth 6 way to allow me to pre-test the fill water and satisfy my testing itch until my PODS container arrives with my tub of pool related supplies arrives.
After visiting the house after work, I have better understanding of the additional wiring that the crew did today. Most of what they did was lay out the tops of the overflow sides of the spa, the cover track areas and the cover box overflow wall by string wires tightly across the pool at the exact height and location of those features to be used as guides as they are finishing off the shotcrete. I hadn’t seen this step on my previous build, but I didn’t have a spa or cover in that pool.
I took several pictures, but the wires are nearly impossible to see, even when you kno what you are looking for.
.B260DCCE-CC2D-4FE9-A619-3BA0E4A7536D.jpeg

D2F262CD-AD6B-47D5-81CD-37F128D44D22.jpeg
Hopefully tomorrow is a noisy productive day at the house.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Report from yesterday’s work is that my cover box drain needs to be relocated a few inches and the steel in the spa needs to be squared up. No mud today? At this point it sounds like I might not get gunnite until just before the 4th, which would work out well from a watering perspective

I always recommend being onsite for gunite day. Specifically for a concrete autocover box, I'd recommend requesting and confirming in person the day of the shoot, a very smooth (and properly angled to drain) finish to the inside of the box. It is quite possible that the cover will touch the bottom of the box and possibly the sides if it puffs out some when rolled up. They may not focus on this since the inside of the pool shell is typically finished with a nice brushed finish (or rougher) to allow for good plaster adhesion, which is not the case with the autocover box, since it receives no top coat.

Today was the day.
35CFE9BB-E6D7-4622-9CD4-F81E106E013C.jpeg
0BA8A2DF-5F40-4555-A659-10A495063531.jpeg
40645B3F-CE59-4E3F-B815-C19B1F89BBB4.jpeg

I was on site during the gunnite, and I mentioned some of the suggestions posted above, but I’m not sure it had any effect. The construction manager assured me that they have never had trouble with the cover dragging on the inside of the box. It’s now my watering project for the next several days. Clean-up, trench backfill and grade restoration is scheduled for tomorrow. Waterline tile and cover tracks are scheduled the week after the holiday.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwstnsko

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been about 6 weeks since shotcrete, so you’d think I’d be swimming by now... there has been progress, but no swimming yet.
I’ll add some pictures in phases to bring this up to date .
After a couple weeks of no activity, I got a call that some of the tile I chose back in February was out of stock, so I had to go down to the design center and make new tile choices. ? I decided to take advantage of this development to upgrade the bling factor from our prior choices.
1E5C4AAD-956A-410C-B8C4-6348757C1E76.jpeg

A few days later, waterline/cover box dam wall tile went in.
277AED18-EED0-468F-97BD-E2B7614A42DA.jpeg

790430B7-3675-4CC5-A33A-354A95E065CE.jpeg

Reactions: Arizonarob
Next they started on the pavers, fire ring and water features
3AC3AEE4-D247-41CB-802C-D6C7E0FCB7CD.jpeg

494A459D-B825-4F59-8845-D6E3F2796BE4.jpeg

More progress

9ACF4055-ED8A-4372-97B3-6B3E20AE33BB.jpeg
57F0C568-9D00-4B10-9E2A-A8C906B389A4.jpeg

It’s been a few days since I took any pictures. They’ve finished the hardscaping and the clean up crew is working today. I’ll get some more pictures this afternoon

Last edited:
Here’s a few pictures from this morning
D6F339F8-A6BF-48E6-8A69-ACE4B2E8E583.jpeg

270735B8-BB59-48FB-B41C-DD3B7199DE17.jpeg

93DABC5D-ACB0-421E-BE5A-42316435966A.jpeg

Most of the areas you see in the photos that are dirt will eventually be artificial turf.
When I left this morning, they were prepping the infloor collars and returns for plaster, but I’m pretty sure that they want to get the landscape in before they plaster and fill the pool. It getting into the home stretch, I’m trying to be patient ?

OH YEAH!!! :party:

Okay do here is your next jobs. Put socks or such on the end of the hoses to help filter the water and keep the metal from touching the new plaster.

Once the water starts do NOT stop it!!! If you do it could cause a ring in that pretty new plaster!

Put the end of the hoses in the lowest part of the pool so it cannot cause a channel in the plaster.

Kim:kim:

Tomorrow morning they come expose the pebble and polish it up, then we start the fill! This afternoon I’m headed to the hardware store for another 100’ 3/4” hose so I can double up on the fill rate. The faster I get it filled, the quicker we can start things up and get the pool cover installed.

E8833A02-398C-4D14-97B2-EACE3BCAFA66.jpeg

3B5803C4-8A17-4788-860C-EFAA52EE313F.jpeg

55F6AF7A-7091-4AF3-A408-C90AC55B934E.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.