Nazareth/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Just installed my new heater. It keeps tripping the high limit 2 switch. I think it’s a 135 degree trip. I put a thermocouple on that switch and noticed that if the side cover is off, it runs 120 - 128 degrees. If I put the cover back on it runs 127 - 137 degrees and trips. Why would it run so hot. I think the switch just to the left of it is the higher temp switch and that area runs much cooler. Are they installed wrong or is it an issue with the governor? Pics below. Temp with cover off and cover on. Flow is about 60 gpm

Attachments

• E3CFC872-EE35-4C0F-A8C5-04BA548C17DB.jpeg
    E3CFC872-EE35-4C0F-A8C5-04BA548C17DB.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 50
  • D48D9A82-62E0-4C7F-95A0-3D1764CEFD00.jpeg
    D48D9A82-62E0-4C7F-95A0-3D1764CEFD00.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 50
I just realized I put this in the wrong area. Mods, please feel free to move over to “Everything Else”
Thanks, Jim R

This Raypak heater has an internal bypass and some controlling valve called a Unitherm Governor. I'm pretty handy and fixing stuff, but I have not taken anything apart to check them because it is under warranty. Too bad Raypak is not getting back to me though.

Had this issue on too many RayPak heaters before I stopped using them. Always the same, remove the panel, no problems, restore the panel, hi-limit trips. The answer I always received from tech support was to put some fiberglass insulation around that particular switch or fill the cabinet area just below the switch at the header (not the whole cabinet). That was it. I did that a few times (because I had some insulation left over from a small remodel) and it always worked but that is not the type of solution I expected from a company that I had used for over 25 years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, they are hi-limit switches, they "open" and "close" and that's it. Loosely packed to keep the heat in the cabinet from reaching the switch. The first time I heard of this a customer called the factory and he was told to do it. Heater was only two weeks old. Since I had installed it, and thought that solution somewhat strange, I checked the entire heater for issues and found none except the same as you found. Called tech support and was told the same thing. I wasn't happy, but did it and it worked and is still working. Had to do the same thing 3 more times over 2 years with heaters I installed. Call-backs are a waste of my time and energy so I now use another brand of heater. I don't recommend brands, just sell what I believe will be best for the customer's particular installation.

Sorry for being late to respond but yes I got it figured out. A couple issues. 1) there was no heat sink compound on the thermal switch where it mounted to the polymer manifold. So I yanked both switches and applied thermal paste to them as it should have had to begin with. 2) the design tends to have exhaust gas and heat trapped in that area so I added high temp insulation to the heat shield. The kind you would use on headers of a cars race motor. I did a lot of temp measurements with an accurate thermocouple mounted at that high limit switch and determined the issue was not the actual water temp, but the switch getting hot from the surrounding area. It’s been fine ever since and my temp meter shows it runs much cooler. My temp meter would show that switch hitting close to 150F after 30 minutes of run time. Now it never goes over 130F even with the heater on continuously for several hours straight heating the pool.
3FDA3F86-826F-4B3E-B958-E2CC4E778958.jpegEC4E7817-D357-49D7-B648-BA66FF344C71.jpeg82264C5D-9267-4717-AFE8-6B55F04883D9.jpegBD711466-1853-40CB-8429-208C2B3267D5.jpegDFF750FA-7686-459C-98EF-E11CC4A0D6B1.jpegE28827D0-ED2C-4303-BD20-00A7ACC8C8CD.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s the factory metal heat shield that I wrapped with high temp header wrap insulation, drilled holes in the plate, used large fender washers and riveted it in place. It may be overkill, but I sometimes get carried away with my “fixes”. Applying the proper thermal compound in the well where the switches mount helped as well.

I dont believe I have that factory metal heat shield. I have the the metal shelf like you above the polymer manifold, but that is it. I see two levels in your photo, with the heat shield between that metal shelf and the in/out polymer

I thought of defective switches also so I removed them, hooked up and ohm meter, placed them in a pot of water on the stove with a thermocouple in the water at the switch. Then slowly heated the water. They both “opened up” at 138f. So they were good. That’s made me realize that the area around the switch was getting unusually warm. Yank that access cover off and run the heater so the ambient temp drops. See if your issue goes away.
…. You don’t have the shield? It’s called out in the parts diagram.
4B97B144-7ABF-4184-94C6-F0CCEF357174.jpeg

Last edited:
No, I dont have it - not on either of my two heaters (I will look again tomorrow but I am pretty sure). This is the diagram I have followed and its not on that one - but I found the diagram you sent in my manual as well. I wonder if the lack of this part is the cause of my problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 11.29.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 11.29.14 PM.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.