New Raypak Heater ignition failure

Jan 9, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Picked up a RayPak Digital Electronic Natural Gas Pool Heater (400,000 BTU) to replace an old Raypak that was end of life (It was removed before I remembered to write down the model). Pretty straight forward install do to everything lining up easily and I did it myself. It’s been running with water through it for a few weeks and I just got around hooking up the power and gas today. Saw no visible leaks using soapy water or smelled, heard anything.

When I set the gas pilot to On, then turn on the heater and set the temp for the spa to 100 the unit says Spark and I hear it trying to light the pilot light but it never does. It eventual says Ignition Failure; No Pilot Sensed.

I have confirmed gas is flowing at least to the unit. I also can make out a spark, but it never lights.

Is there something I missed in the install? Could it be a case of low pressure? From the gas meter, it is a 1.5 inch metal pipe until it exits next to heater. From the meter to the heater could be 50-60 feet.

Any insight would be wonderful.

Thanks

Cycle it a bunch of times. When you have the gas line open it takes a bunch of cycles before you purge all the air from the gas line and get good ignition.

Yup, just keep cycling the start sequence.

I don’t know how many cycles it may take. If you get tired then bring in a gas guy who can safely check the gas pressure and purge the line.

I had this right after install, due to no gas reaching. The plumbers that ran the gas line did not properly bleed the 50' of line they had buried and failed to plumb anything in for me to bleed the line either. Once they corrected this and we could smell gas at the union (6" or so from the heater) it only took a couple cycles for the heater to discharge the remaining air from the line and finally fire up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.