New Quote Help

atx_pool

Gold Supporter
Dec 25, 2020
Leander Texas
Hi Experts,
I am planning to build a new pool in Leander TX and got a couple of quotes for almost the same design. This is our first pool and I am a complete novice.
Please help in comparing the 2 quotes and also comment on individual bids for any apparent issues.
Builder 1 (prefers Pentair equipment) is about 25k lower than Builder 2(Prefers Jandy equipment).
Except for a little smaller size tanning ledge, 1 LED bubbler(compared to 2) and not having a dedicated spa pump, I don't see much of a difference between the quotes. So I might end up going with Builder one.
So please help me understand what is lacking in the builder 1 quote that I would want him to change/upgrade. Or is there anything that I can remove from his list? Is the Builder 2 quote worth an extra 25k?

ItemsBuilder 1Builder 2
Pool Size32 x 16 + tanning ledge and a bench32 x 16 + tanning ledge and a bench
Pool Depth4ft x 5.5ft x 5ft4ft x 5.5ft x 5ft
Spa Dimension7ft x 7ft7ft x 7ft
Spa Depth3.5 ft3.5 ft
Spa Jets66
City PermitsAll fees and inspections includedAll fees and inspections included
Excavation and materialsComplete rock excavation is included40 hours Rock Excavation included.
Pneumatic hammer excavation included
All excavation Materials hauled awayAll excavation Materials hauled away
Pool Shell1/2" steel rebar on 10" centers, both ways.1/2" grade 40 Steel Rebar on beam; 3/8" grid on floors
Pool Bond Beam1/2" Steel Rebar X 41/2" Grade 40 Steel Rebar X 4
ConcreteDry Mix GuniteDry Mix Gunite
Thickness12" Bond Beam, 8 - 10" Walls /Floor12" Bond Beam, 12" Walls; 8-12" Walls & Floor
All Elevated/Exposed walls to be 12"
Pool PipesUp to 3" Schedule 40 PVC2.5" Schedule 40 PVC
ReturnsDirectional flush mount Intels - 5A&A infusion V-fitting inlets - 4
SkimmersAquastar, Independently plumbed - 2A&A Venturi Quick skim - 1
Drains10" SDX, VGB compliant - 2A&A AVSC unblockable channel drain
with Leaf-Vac(VIP system)
Spa Pipes3" suction, 2.5" Return Schedule 40 PVC3" suction, 2.5" Return Schedule 40 PVC
Spa JetsDeluxe Therapy Jets - 66
Spa Air1.5" dedicated air line
Spa DrainParamount 360 Superflo drain, Flush mount finish
Fill LineAutomatic Fill LineAuto w/ RPZ Backflow Prevention
Overflow LineIncludedIncluded
Cleaner LineIndependently Plumbed - 1Included
Gas LineFrom meter to heater62' Trench
ElectricalComplete Electrical connection of
all lighting and equipment
150' of Electrical line included
Pool/Spa Tile6" Band at waterline, Frost-proof6" Band at waterline, frost-proof
Pool CopingTravertine Coping1.25" 12x12 square edge Travertine Coping
Spa CopingTravertine Coping1.25" 12x12 square edge Travertine Coping
Spa FacingTravertine Split-FaceSplitface Travertine
Stacked SpillwayStacked Lueder stone Spillway
BubblerLED Bubbler - 1LED Bubblers - 2
Tanning Ledge66 sqft of Upgrade tile on the surface of tanning ledge87 sqft of Upgraded tile on the surface of Tanning ledge
Pool/Spa Interior finishPebble Sheen/Tec Level OnePebble Sheen Level two
Primary PumpPentair IntelliFlo VSFJandy VS ePump Energy Star (Variable Speed 2.7 HP)
Spa PumpN/A1.0 HOP dedicated Spa Pump
FilterPentair Clean & Clear 520 CartridgeJandy CV Series 460 sf Cartridge
Heater/ChillerPentair MasterTemp 400k - LPRaypak 399K BTU LP Heater
AirBlower - Jandy 2.0HP2 HP Quite Motor Upgrade
CleanerPentair Prowler 920 RoboticPolaris 8050 Robotic Cleaner
Control BoxPentair EasyTouch PS-4RS-PS6 & iAqualink Automation App Control
RemotesScreen Logic Bundle (Adapter & Wireless kit)
SanitizersIn-Line Chlor w/ IntelliChlor SaltFusion Nature 2 Chlorine & Mineral
Additional Actuators1 additional (2 actuators included with automation)Solar Eclipse, 240V UV+Ozone
Pool LightsPentair GloBrite LED 12v (Pool) - 3Jandy Hydro cool color LED - 3
Spa LightsPentair GloBrite LED 12v (Spa) - 1Jandy Hydro cool color LED - 1

Attachments

• Pool Design 2.jpeg
    Pool Design 2.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 99
  • Pool Design.jpeg
    Pool Design.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 98
Welcome to TFP.

Pentair equipment quotes usually cost more so you did good on it. Definitely go with it.

How many gallons in the pool?

What size IntelliChlor cell?

Globrites use proprietary niches and are prone to premature failure in a few years. You are signing up for a few hundred for each light every few years. There is nothing serviceable in the GloBrites. Consider nicheless Microbrite lights instead. You will have more light options if those don’t work out well.

Confirm your ET4 is not the Lite version.

Reactions: mknauss
awwwrighty then! Lets do this TFP review- (and welcome, by the way!)

I would personally go for PB#1.
Pentair ✅ --- You get a far better warranty because you can work on it yourself also, but Jandy requires professionals only.
Salt Water ✅ ---Ozone, UV and "minerals" are unwelcome and worthless ❌
2 Skimmers ✅
1 Bubbler ✅ ---a Sure, 2 is nicer but most folks get annoyed by the noise these things make and end up rarely using.
Filter size is Best for least bother with maintenance ✅

❌ Globrite lights -- switch those out as these have poor performance

We can help you get a robot cheaper elsewhere.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Guys.
The pool would be a total of 21,000 gallons.

* Will Check on the size of IntelliChlor. Assuming this has to be rated for double the size of the pool. So 40k gallons?
* Will surely ask the builder to switch the GloBrite lights. I Will update you on what other options they give.

Don't I need a dedicated Pump for Spa? Builder 1 has not provided that.

Builder 2 is including pebble tec level 2...probably a few k more than level 1 that Builder 1 is including (probably not going to change your decision, just FYI you may want to budget more here in case you wind up not liking level 1 options).

Tanning ledge size may be deceiving. 66sqft is ok if you do not want any furniture on it, but your pictures show lounge chairs. We are having a pool built now, and went with 120sqft and that still may get crowded with two lounge chairs and a small side table in between.

@TampaKathy, Yes. Noted down the price difference. I have accounted for this difference. Yet to visit the builder showroom to see which color we want to go with.
@SecoSteve. You think 11' x 8' is a good size for 2 lounge chairs?
Here is the spec for an in pool lounge chair that gives the measurements.

11' x 8' would fit two according to the spec sheet, but you have to decide if you want room to walk around on the ledge. Also, is the ledge the main entrance to the pool? I would think the ledge would be a hangout spot for people, and if there's two chairs, and it's the main entrance and exit, would you consider it crowded? You could layout an area in the yard and put a couple of regular lounge chairs there and get a feel for the actual size. Also, what is the depth of the ledge? Keep that in mind when buying chairs, as they have different ones for various depths.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, the picture helps a lot.
We have steps(4 ft wide apart from the 11ft ledge) that are adjacent to the ledge. I could add a foot more which might make a lot of difference.
One other thing to consider is color of the "in pool" chairs. As I was researching what chairs to get, I was told that a salt water pool would show more residue on the color option chairs at the water line, so we went with the white ones.

Lastly, try to have all of your build options taken care of BEFORE you sign your contract. When we were going through our negotiations, our builder was much "friendlier" before we signed the contract. When we wanted to add something, it seemed that we would get something extra included without more $. After signing, those freebies went away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.