New Pool’s Water Turned Greenish-Brown After Adding Chlorine

ksoper

May 1, 2020
Edmond, OK
We just had a new gunite pool built and waited 72 hours after plastering to add the chlorine as instructed by the pool builder. About 15-30 minutes after adding the chlorine, the water went from clear to a Greenish-Brown color. I had it tested and there was no iron, copper or phosphates in the water. The alkalinity was really high and PH was at 7.6. I’ve been working on lowering the alkalinity with muriatic acid. I’m also trying to get the chlorine level up to an acceptable range, but the higher it gets, the darker the greenish-Brown the water gets. Any ideas on what might be causing it?

Attachments

• 5EB665D7-24BB-4F72-BE10-E770530BBBFA.jpeg
    5EB665D7-24BB-4F72-BE10-E770530BBBFA.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 17
  • CE2F360C-B95E-42F6-A689-7F51C6891643.jpeg
    CE2F360C-B95E-42F6-A689-7F51C6891643.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 16
You have iron in your water. Did the pool builder/plaster company add a sequestrant?

That’s what I thought too, but had it tested at Leslie’s yesterday and again today and both tests came back as 0 ppm for iron and copper. No sequestrant has been added yet. I will add some and see what that does. Maybe Leslie’s test is off? Some sort of heavy metal is the only thing that makes sense to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam’s Metal Magic and Jack’s Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top brand sequestrants. There are also other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.